cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: About Beat the scammers

Phone and email scams are on the rise and affecting millions of people and businesses across the UK.  Over 2.5 million households received a scam call in the last month and latest ONS crime figures show that one in 10 adults have fallen for a scam, with over two thirds losing money as a result.

At TalkTalk we believe we have a responsibility to help protect our customers and people across the UK from these increasingly sophisticated crimes. That’s why we’ve joined forces with Get Safe Online - the UK’s leading source of information on online safety - to provide tools and expert advice on how to beat the scammers.

We want to take the fight to the scammers and make sure everyone can enjoy the benefits of being online safely and securely.

Nevers

TalkTalk is the first telecoms provider to outline information it will NEVER ask customers for, providing a first line of defence against scammers.

Privacy calling features

TalkTalk is the only telecoms provider to offer free privacy calling features, allowing customers to block calls from withheld numbers, block the last number that called and see the phone numbers of incoming calls.

Report and block scam calls

TalkTalk is also the only provider to offer a free reporting service for nuisance and scam calls.

Blocking malicious calls

TalkTalk actively reviews incoming calls to identify malicious callers, blocking them from reaching all TalkTalk households. Last year we blocked around 340 million scam and nuisance calls - that’s 80 for every customer.

How to spot them. How to stop them.

Remember, TalkTalk will NEVER

• Ask for your full password – we will only ask for two digits
  • Ask for your bank details to process a refund
  • Ask you to send money through services like MoneyGram or Western Union
  • Quote your TalkTalk account number to prove the call is genuine
Beat the Scammers

about StephenF

Hey everyone, I'm your community manager and resident lego fanboy and not to mention a massive foodie :) I'm here to help keep the community ticking over each day and support our great members.

Read more of my blog posts
4 Comments
exBT21
Team Player

The flood of callers claiming to be 'Talktalk Technical department' has started again. I have just discovered the CallSafe facility, which seems to be brilliant, although I could not find a way of importing numbers so I had to build my approved list manually. I hope it will finally put an end to scam calls but two things puzzle me greatly.

1) Why did I have to discover CallSafe myself rather than talktalk advertising the facility?

2) Are there any circumstances where talktalk would make an unsolicited call to tell a customer that their broadband/router is reporting problems to the servers and action needs to be taken? If not then that should be made clear to all customers.

Talktalk make it clear what information they would NOT ask for, but would TT ever make an unsolicited 'technical department' call and do your servers monitor every customer's broadband performance?

Thanks TT for the CallSafe facility.

exBT21

0 Likes
StephenF
Community Manager

Hey @exBT21 

We've only just launched Callsafe and I'm pleased you've found and like it, We'll be making sure we make our customers aware of the new service very soon. 

With regards to your other question, we would never call you "unsolicited" claiming that your router is reporting problems to a server, whilst we do monitor all connections and take proactive steps to optimise these are automated if in doubt Hang Up, Make a cup of Tea and Call us back.  

0 Likes
exBT21
Team Player

StephenF,  Thank you. I did try the 'Call us back' option, dialled 150 which is not too user friendly, non of my spoken words seemed to be any expected ones so I tried the 'speak to ' option, waited to be answered but gave up. So this forum came to my rescue. No unwanted calls since activating Callsafe so peace prevails :>) ............ till the scammers find another way of troubling us.

I've told friends who bought commercial Callguard (and have problems with it), to ditch it and join talktalk!

0 Likes
StephenF
Community Manager

Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted but glad you found the community and we came to the rescue, hope you enjoy using it. Callsafe is amazing, I'm also enjoying quiet evenings without the phone ringing from unwanted callers. 

0 Likes

More like this

How to Avoid Black Friday and Cyber Monday Shopping Scams

How to Avoid Black Friday and Cyber Monday Shopping Scams

Beat the Scammers
Security
How to spot a Christmas shopping scam

How to spot a Christmas shopping scam

Beat the Scammers
Security
TalkTalk
Purchase scams