cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Safer Internet Day: Information to help children stay safer online

This week, in support of Safer Internet Day on Tuesday 11th February, we are delighted to launch an online safety campaign in York, in partnership with #CodeYork and Internet Matters.

While the internet offers many positive opportunities, we know that there are some aspects of being online that we need to protect ourselves against. Recent research reveals that 54% of 3-4 years olds have their own online device and 62% of 11 year olds have their own Facebook account. These numbers highlight how quickly the younger generation are introduced to the digital world and it’s important that parents, carers and teachers are aware of potential issues that they may face and be equipped to help their children stay safe online.

Through this campaign parents, carers and teachers across York will receive a leaflet that raises awareness of online issues from cyberbullying to sexting and provides access to expert advice and the tools needed to keep children safe online, while they enjoy the opportunities that the internet offers. Through the partnership, the leaflet is being distributed this week through schools, libraries and community centres across the city and it’s available to download here.

Internet Matters helps to educate millions of teachers, parents and carers across the UK about digital safety. The not-for-profit organisation launched in 2014 and was jointly founded by TalkTalk, BT, Sky and other industry partners. It provides expert advice and information on tackling online safety issues including a series of videos and online guides featuring leading experts and teachers, such as BAFTA-nominated Matthew Burton of hit Channel 4 documentary Educating Yorkshire.

It’s been a pleasure to support the local communities of York as we continue to connect the city to full fibre broadband from TalkTalk UFO. We encourage you to download the leaflet and have open discussions with children about the online world.

UFO

about Taylerw

Hi everyone! I look after the broadband content on Help & Support. I'm also the team's resident crazy cat lady.

Read more of my blog posts

More like this