cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to set up IMAP on MS OutlookIM

leolyons
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

As a former talktalk/tiscali customer I now pay an annual fee to retain the email service. Everything has been fine until recently when the third party apps I use for mail collection stopped working. I obtained updated config details from TalkTalk but they do not give acces with the error being username of password incorrect. But - those same details work with the TalkTalk mail app.
I have seen similar questions on here where the problem appears to be weak security (short password - mea culpa) and that there is a method to reset the email address and to allow collection of messages via IMAP.
I would appreciate advice on how to acheive this. One of the issues I have is that talktalk say I no longer have an account though they acknowledge that the email service is being paid for and is working.
Thank you for any help you can offer

Regards

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Leo, you should have a fully functional mailbox again. Please let me know if you're still struggling.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 12

Hi Ady
Unfortunately I am still unable to use IMAP to receive mail. I have double checked all the config but the server returns the message that the username or password is wrong or the server is not configured to allow IMAP mail collection. I am able to log on to webmail using the same credentials so I know that works. 
Could you please check that the mailbox has been restored to normal function

Thank you for your help

Leo

Message 3 of 12

Hi leolyons, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 12

Hi Ady

Thanks for your help

I have added the mailbox to the Private Notes section of my profile. Any update on what happens next? Please

leolyons
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

OK done that

Message 6 of 12

Select here: Update your profile

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)

Check and Save changes

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

leolyons
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Hi Ady - thank for your message.

Unfortunately I do not understand how I 'add the affected mailboxes to your community profile'. If I try to log in to the account it rejects the password. Where do I find the community profile to add the information too?

Thank you Leo

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Hi leolyons, please add the affected mailboxes to your community profile so that I can help you. 

Ady

Message 9 of 12

The Android / Samsung Mail secure mail settings are good so I've requested that full access is restored for the email address mailbox in your Community profile Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here and access returned within a couple of days after that. Until then use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you have set up password recovery options, in advance, that you recognise from the *****hints, then you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

Or send the email address a recovery link. To pick up:

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your current email password, select Sign in.

To set up password recovery - Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then you can use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

leolyons
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

As requested I attach two screenshots showing the config I am using to try and collect mail from a Samsung mail app on two Samsung devices.

I am also concerned that the current password is too short to pass security but as I no longer have a TalTalk accout I cannot find a way to change it.

Thank you for you help

Regardsoutgoing server settingsoutgoing server settings

incoming server settingsincoming server settings

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

If you saw the message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software" then the email address receiving that notification has been limited to webmail only access as a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure email.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

You will be able to get email access restored to email apps or software including mail collection services, passwords will then re-authenticate, so long as you're ready to use up to date and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails. We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

What email apps are they? What version of Outlook? We need to help you identify which devices are connecting to your tiscail mailbox using insecure settings and help you correct those.

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus