cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

2.4GHz keeps reverting to channel 6 - TalkTalk WiFi Hub

WDeranged
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

About eight months ago TalkTalk sent me a new router, the WiFi hub.  It's been working fine, nice and reliable.

Unfortunately this last couple of weeks all my 2.4ghz devices stopped working and the router keeps resetting 2.4g wifi to channel 6.

I go into the settings and change back to channel 10 which fixes the issue but usually within a day it's back to channel 6.  

Selecting Auto makes no difference.

Anyone know what's going on?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 11

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk.

Hi @WDeranged 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 11

Hi WDeranged

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

@KeithFrench

Thanks

Message 3 of 11

Ok.  I request that I want it disabled.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

I did explain all this to you before, just request that you want it disabled & then I can get TalkTalk to do it for you. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Yeah that makes sense.  I suspected it might be the case.  I just assumed that turning off auto would be enough.  Had no idea that there was a secret option that only TalkTalk can access.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 6 of 11

The most likely reason it would start doing it would be because your local Wi-Fi environment has changed, for example a neighbour may have a new router and your router is seeing that signal and making the (bad) decision to switch you to channel 6 to try to avoid interference. Often letting your router auto detect is a good thing, but depending on your specific environment it can sometimes make bad decisions, this is when it is best to get Wi-Fi Optimisation switched off to allow you to specify the channel yourself.

Message 7 of 11

I'll keep that in mind.  I'm curious why it's started doing this though.  It's been fine for months.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Yep, the staff here on the community can switch off Wi-Fi Optimisation on your router if you want them to, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.

If you want them to do this for you then just reply here to confirm, and they will be able to do it early next week.

WDeranged
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the reply.  It is indeed the Sagemcom FAST 5364.  I just settled on channel 10 as that seems to give me the least trouble.  Regardless, no matter what channel I select, within a day it's back to channel 6 and none of my devices can connect.

I've not asked TalkTalk to disable Wi-Fi optimisation.  That is something to keep in mind when I get a reply from support.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

You should only ever use channels 1, 6 or 11, as they are the only non-overlapping channels. This may have some impact on the router changing you back to channel 6, but I assume that you have the Sagemcom FAST 5364 router?

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that are made.  Only TalkTalk can disable this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

Keith