cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

2Ghz network has disappeared

brennigjones
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

**Solved!**

My router has stopped broadcasting the band 1 (2Ghz network). Band 2 (5Ghz network) is fine, but band 1 just isn't there any more. See the attached phone screenshot as evidence. I've been on chat with tech support for 2h 45m and I'm getting nowhere. Please help, someone! I think the router is malfunctioning. The tech support guy is trying very hard, but he just doesn't understand what the problem is.No TalkTalk73B0DAband1 networkNo TalkTalk73B0DAband1 network

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 7

Hi brennigjones,

Glad to hear that you've managed to resolve the problem with JPGallagher's help 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

No problem at all, glad I could be of help 👍

JP Gallagher
Apple Fanboy / Tech Guy

Message 3 of 7

Did that when I set them up three months ago, that was the only way to differentiate between the two bands.  But wait a minute...

*goes away to check something*

Well blow me down, here's the update. I had renamed the two bands (a few months ago) as you suggested. But what I hadn't done is checked that the bands were still (re)named as I renamed them. They weren't. Band 1 had defaulted back to the old name and I couldn't see it on a scan because it was overlaid with the Band 2 name (both names being the same).

What I've just done is change Band 1 back to the name I gave it a few months ago and Robert's your Mother's Brother, everything works once more!

I have no idea how or why the network name got changed, I hadn't even been in to the portal since early December.

But if it hadn't have been for you, I wouldn't have thought to go back and check that the Band names were unchanged. Thank you for putting that idea into my head.

B.

Message 4 of 7

Okay, try this, on the page with the WiFi Networks click Managed advanced settings at the bottom right, and change the 5Ghz Wifi Network name to something different, so it should then display on your device as whatever you rename it to, and the 2.4Ghz network will keep it's original name. I have mine named as below in the screenshot so I can distinguish between the 2 separate frequencies. 

If the 2.4Ghz Band is working correctly, it should display as the original network and the 5Ghz Band will display as the new name. (Anything that you connect to the 5Ghz network will need to be reconnected to it using the password on the back of your router (if you haven't changed it to something else.)

ScreenshotScreenshot

JP Gallagher
Apple Fanboy / Tech Guy
0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. Yes I've logged in. Yes the router says 2Ghz is broadcasting (see my screenshot for the truth - it really isn't). Yes I have devices that need the 2Ghz network, otherwise I wouldn't really bother with it.

0 Likes

JPGallagher
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

Have you logged in to the router to see if it has been disabled? I'm not 100% certain, but most boxes now have the ability to provide the best option to the device connecting to it (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz depending on the device). Do you have a device that specifically needs 2.4Ghz (like smart home devices, etc?)

JP Gallagher
Apple Fanboy / Tech Guy
0 Likes