cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband Speed Is There minimum?

ellab
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hi all.

Continuing my TalkTalk saga as a new customer.

I eventually got my service installed. Things are slow, so I ran a speed test today and as I thought, upload speed was onIy 5.3.  I know this isn't a fibre connection but there isn't much I can do when speed is only 5.3. 

Is this something that can be checked remotely or do I need to do further checks at my end? 

Anyone else on fast broadband and getting much better speeds?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Apologies for any confusion. It was the download speed I was meaning not upload. 

5 just seems very poor and no way can any of my family work from home with this. 

I'm a migrated customer and it has taken almost a month to get a connection activated by Talktalk. I've had 1 TalkTalk engineer, 2 OpenReach engineers. 8 hours of chat bots and chatted to over 16 different advisers. It's been an absolute disaster and still the issues are occuring. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

@ellab, with Fast Broadband you will not usually get more than 1Mbps upload speed, so if that really is your UPLOAD speed, you are whizzing along. You may be on some sort of hybrid Shell/Talktalk version of the package, rather than the usual one, as not all the Shell packages have a direct Talktalk equivalent. 

Download for that package is c 11Mbps, as an average. Mine slowed to c 8Mbps over the years. It's partly dependent on your particular line but a good Openreach engineer may be able to check things in your area - my line improved to 14 - 16Mbps when someone did a proper check.

You need to check that guaranteed minimum Download speed. If your speeds are frequently dropping below that they can offer to send an engineer. 

There is no guaranteed upload speed, and it's usually < 1Mbps with this package. 

If you go to Service Status Dashboard and My Connection, you should see the statistics for the minimum guaranteed download speed in a graph of results etc. Eg:

1000005769.jpg

Clicking on My Speed in there shows me the above, and "learn more about your speeds" should show you this sort of thing:

1000005770.jpg

Not sure whether you will be able to use this facility yet as a Migrated Shell customer, but it's worth looking for Service Status Dashboard in the community forum menu to see if it gives you any useful information. 

As usual, at the moment, forum staff are limited in what support they can offer, so you may be sent back to the Shell Migration team on 03451 720088 (9am - 7pm weekdays, till 6pm Saturday).

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Ok, wait for support staff to respond, but it's usually download speed not upload that customers are concerned about, hence my question as to your download figure.

You last contract email should tell you your expected download speed and guaranteed minimum.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

I've already had a look and as per my description, it's just called Fast Broadband but there is no mention of speed in my account details,hence the reason why I am asking here. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Whats your download speed? What package are you on?

What does you contract letter say regarding speeds (it should also be viewable in your my account?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes