cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband disconnects when windy - had problem for six weeks

Simon_M
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Hi, hope everyone at TalkTalk is well.

I've had a problem for many weeks now - every time it is even slightly windy, my broadband disconnects constantly.  We both work from home frequently and it is very very difficult to do so at the moment.

I've tried a number of approaches which haven't been able to resolve the situation:

• When we reported the initial faults, an OpenReach engineer did attend, but this did not resolve the problem.

• When making subsequent online reports, the TalkTalk website has told us on multiple occasions that our issues have been resolved, when they have not.

• Today I spoke to the TalkTalk Technical Support team, on the phone for over an hour.  While I respect the politeness of the call handler, they were not equipped to address the problem at all.  The internet disconnects repeatedly, simultaneously across all devices, wireless or ethernet, and the router is in a cycle of orange-black, orange-white, white, and back to orange-black. 
    They consistently focussed their attention on my wi-fi quality and how my wi-fi signal might not be reaching all parts of the house (it is).  They offered to send out wi-fi boosters, which I explicitly declined despite repeated offers, as I know this is not the problem.  A wi-fi booster isn't going to do me any good if I have no internet.  Plus, I'm on ethernet.
    After resets, reboots, disconnects, reconnects and the problem being no better than it was when I first rang, I was told to ring back tomorrow.  I maintained calmness throughout the call (I've previously worked in a call centre and understand the pressures on staff), but as the call ended, I despondently felt that my explanation of my problem was not being heard at all.  I made repeated requests for the problem to be escalated, but this request was not accepted.

I have googled the problem - I know this doesn't make me an expert or anything and I don't want to dismiss the experts at Talk Talk - but the constant thing that I keep finding is that a loose external cable or connector could be at fault.  The phone line from the mast to our property goes through the branches of a tall tree (not on our property) that is gently swaying in the wind, and I wonder if this could also be a factor.  Please let me know if you'd like a photo of the tree.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.  While its not a problem in clement weather, its just impossible to work when its windy.

Regardless of the outcome, my best Christmas wishes to the TalkTalk and OpenReach teams!

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm, have you been contacted by Openreach?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi Simon,

Just checked again and no further updates yet, we'll check again next week

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Simon,

No further updates at the moment, I'll check again later

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Good morning,

I've checked and there are no additional updates back from Openreach as yet. We'll check this again first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Simon

Ahh you're welcome 🙂

Apologies again for the issues you are experiencing with the line, hopefully the engineers will be able to fix this quickly.

Message 6 of 12

Thanks so much for your prompt response, especially in the run-up to Christmas.  I feel much happier now!

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I've passed this straight over to Openreach to investigate the line fault detected.

This will be investigated externally by an Openreach line engineer. We will continue to monitor for additional updates from Openreach.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 8 of 12

I'm sorry, I don't have a landline handset or landline phone, so I don't know how I can check this.

Message 9 of 12

Hi Simon

Thank you 🙂

The line test is detecting a potential line fault.

Can I check before I raise this fault, is there any noise on your landline when making calls?

Message 10 of 12

Have done so now, sorry it wasn't there already!  Thanks.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi Simon_M

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can the take a look at this for you.

Thanks