cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Buffering After Upgrading From Fibre 35 To Fibre 65.

keithabrown
Team Player
Private Message
Message 44 of 44

I recently upgraded from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65.  The problem I have is that when streaming or watching videos there is constant buffering. I didn't have this problem with Fibre 35.  I don't know if the problem is with the router or my PC.  I have cleared the cache and switched the router off and on but still have the problem.  Any suggestions how to resolve this problem much appreciated. Router is D-Link DSL - 3782. I have the problem using both Firefox and Chrome.    

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 44

No worries glad to try & help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

keithabrown
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 44

I had already returned the Ethernet adapter to amazon for a refund prior to your latest post. I may return to the issue at a later date when I have more time to find a resolution.  Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 44

Within Windows is power management enabled on this USB adapter?

To check this in Windows 10 or 11, open Device Manager and expand Network adapters. Then right-click your ethernet adapter card & select Properties. Next, click on the Power Management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. If the adapter is connected via USB, then expand the USB section in Device Manager and the same option can be found in the Power Management tab in most Root Hubs and USB Controllers. Untick it in there as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

keithabrown
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 44

Hi

I have tried a USB3 Ethernet adapter but the buffering was worse.  If I stream using Brave web browser using VPN it seems to work with no buffering so I will stick with this solution for the time being.  Nevertheless I appreciate your suggestions in trying to resolve the problem 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 44

Of course, I cannot guarantee that this is the only bottleneck on your PC.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 44

Hi

I don't think I have a spare USB socket to the rear but will check. Thanks for the advice about the speed of the adapter. I will update you as and when I have connected the adapter.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 44

Hi @keithabrown 

It does not have to be a USB socket at the front. I would think it better, if you have a spare USB3 at the rear, to use that. This should prevent any accidental damage to the USB device or computer port, if it got knocked. The connection method is as you have described, but make sure that the one you buy is a Gigabit (1000M) or faster Ethernet adapter & not 100M.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 44

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will update the drivers and also invest in a compatible USB3 Ethernet adapter.  I assume you connect the adapter to the USB port at the front of the PC and then connect the ethernet cable from from the router to the adapter?  

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 44

Now that I know you are using Windows 10 on an adapter that there are only Windows 8 drivers, it may well work basically, but it is, as @martswain said, a likelihood of the buffering. You could get a compatible USB3 Ethernet adapter if you want. 

Keith

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 44

Windows runs your system including the ethernet adapter, if that does not have the correct drivers installed then that may be a bottleneck irrespective of which browser you are using.

Message 11 of 44

Hi

I have Windows 10,  version 1709 installed but I don't use it for browsing.  I use Firefox and Chrome.  Michelle organised a new router for me which I installed a week ago.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 44

That is slower than it should be, I noticed from searching for your Ethernet adapter in your PC though, that it is only supposed to work on Windows 7 & 8, are you using either version of Windows? However, initially, at least I think that the router is the issue & I will ask for it to be changed.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 44

Hi

This is the result:

Thank you for submitting your speedtest results. This will aid our technicians if you have an issue.
We recorded your speed as
Download 54098 KBits/s (6762.25 KBytes/s)
Upload 18809 KBits/s (2351.125 KBytes/s)

With the current speed test you could download the following:

Mp3 in 0.59 Seconds
Video in 1.97 Minutes
DVD in 9.85 Minutes

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 44

No Keith that is not really what I wanted you to do. Please can you do a speed test from your PC via the TalkTalk speed-checking site:-

https://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ 

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 44

Hi

I have tried a different port on the router as you suggest but the results are the same, speed to router 75Mbps .  When I checked for speed to devices it showed 6  connected wifi device speeds, which were low,  but not the speed to my computer which is wired.  The speed of 34Mbps to device in my previous post wasn't to my PC but I think to a wifi  alarm device.

Sorry it's all a bit vague.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 44

Hi Keith,

Thanks for all your answers. When I asked if you had tried a different port on the router, leave the cable connected to the PC and at the back of the router, move that cable to a different yellow socket. Please can you then do another speed test from the PC?

Thanks.

Keith

keithabrown
Team Player
Private Message
Message 17 of 44

Hi

Please find answers below. I hope that I have answered them correctly:

1. Router has been changed to Sagecom FAST 5364-3 T8

2. Speed to router 76Mbps. Speed to device 34Mbps.  (This is perhaps the cause of the problem?)

3. PC connects directly to the router.

4. Intel [R] Ethernet Connection [2] 1219-V.  Is this what you need?

5. Yes, fitted new Ethernet cable. The one that came with the replacement router. 

6. No. Haven't tried PC in a different port on the router. Not sure how I would do this.  Is it just a question of plugging the cable into a different port at the back of the PC?

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to give.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 44

Hi @keithabrown 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. However, the problem is not going to be easy, if the problem turns out to be the PC itself, there is only so much I can do to help, as there are so many things that can cause an issue there. First, without reading through all of the posts here, can you please confirm a few things for me?

1. Are you still using the DSL - 3782, or have you had it replaced?
  2. What is the speed at the router & what speed do you get at your PC?
  3. Does your PC connect directly to the router, or is the PC connected via a powerline adapter?
  4. What Ethernet adapter is in the PC?
  5. Have you changed the Ethernet cable between the PC & the router?
  6. Have you tried the PC in a different port on the router?

Keith

Message 19 of 44

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. @KeithFrench - is this something that you may be able to offer any advice on please?

Thanks

Message 20 of 44

Hi Debbie

I have just watched one of the "problem" videos on my mobile, connected by wifi to the router.  No problem with buffering.  The problem must be with the PC.   Can you help with a solution?

Keith