cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Chime keeps dropping off broadband - firmware?

Hethers
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Hi

my chime (Ring) keeps dropping off the talktalk Wi-Fi and I’ve read this is possibly a firmware problem. 

Can I get this updated please? I’m currently on SG4K100158 I think.

Many thanks!

hethers

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

Hi @Hethers 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 18

Hi Hethers

I've switched the optimisation off.

Thanks for your help @KeithFrench 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi Keith 

Yes please. I have requested they disable the optimisation.

regards

Hethers

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 18

Hi @Hethers 

I can still help to find the cause, but the resolution may be reverted until WiFi Optimisation disabled.

If you want to try this, let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

No - like I said it was fine for years there until recently when it started dropping off the Wi-Fi. I’ve moved it since to try to improve it but it isn’t helping.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

So did the issue start when there was 3 meters between the chime and the router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

I have thanks - it has also been in the room next door approx 3 metres away. It was there and working for 2-3 years before this recently became an issue a couple of months ago, and now it won't stay connected for more than a couple of hours.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Could you move them further apart and monitor to see if this makes any difference

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Approximately 12 inches.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Hethers,

Approximately how far away is the chime from the router? Is it in a different room?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi Debbie

As per @KeithFrench suggestion above, can you disable the wifi optimisation please? The router firmware upgrade has made no difference to the Chime dropping the connection to the 2.4GHz band.

Thanks

Hethers

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Thanks, I've just checked and your router now has the latest firmware version - SG4K100174

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Hi Debbie

I have done that

Thanks

Hethers

0 Likes

Hethers
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 18

Hi Debbie

I have done that

Thanks

Hethers

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

V174 is the latest firmware, but I doubt if this will have any impact on your problem at all. The Ring only works on the older 2.4GHz WiFi band, which is very susceptible to WiFi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 18

Hi Hethers

Thanks for creating a post on the Community.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes