cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

DNS service seems to die every few weeks

websanity
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Fibre 150

Every few weeks (sometimes days) our broadband dies. Luckily the first time it did this whilst my wife was connected to a VPN and her broadband was just fine but mine didn't as I was connected directly. I figured that broadband was connected but DNS wasn't working.

I jumped into internet settings | advanced settings | internet connectivity

Then set Manually Specify DNS and 

(Google DNS servers)

And then it starts working again

A few weeks later it will break again.

Reset the settings to Obtain DNS Automatically 

And it starts working again.

It is fixable but a right pain.

It strikes me that there might be some kind of DHCP overrun problem here, a buffer or log file getting too large and it failing. (Note if you swap to Google then back again it fixes the problem as well, it's just that you need to change and save the settings on that page to get it working again (instantly - with no restart).

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K10002816t

Does anybody else get this, or is there an updated firmware to the above which might sort it out, or is there some logging that I need to turn off.

Thanks,

Gez

Gez
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi websanity

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Just an update that 20 days after the firmware update we've not had a similar dropout so this looks like  a good fix as it was happening every week or so prior to that. (Hopefully not "famous last words" on this !!! 🙂 )

Gez

Message 3 of 25

Hi Gerald

Ahh you're welcome 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi Debbie, I'm glad to say that the 5GHz band on the wifi seems to have sorted itself out after a few hiccups enroute (a few devices needing restarting to catch up with the change e.g. a connected Raspberry Pi, but that loses connectivity if you just look at it!)

So fingers crossed we're sorted now thank you very much.

I have made a note to report back in a couple weeks time if we've had any - or hopefully no - dropouts of DNS as we were experiencing before.

Thanks for the great support with this, it is really appreciated 

Gez
0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Thanks Gerald

I will also check to see if anyone else has reported the same issue on this FW version.

Debbie 🙂

Message 6 of 25

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add that of the list of things to try after work!

Gez

Message 7 of 25

Hi Gerald

Have you also tried a factory reset on the router (pin hole reset for ten seconds)

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Morning Debbie,

Thanks for doing that for us.

Initial tests:

Wired connection running very nicely (perhaps a little faster than before)

2.4GHz running as it does

5GHz basically not working. Kept stalling, e.g. wait 15 seconds for an image to download. Tried repeatedly for 30 minutes. Would load 4 pages fine, then nothing. Reset all devices, set all wifi channels to auto in case it needed to get a fresh set after new firmware etc. etc.

No change.

Couldn't even run a speed test on 5GHz - wouldn't load the initial page (from Which?)

Restarted the gateway and then it seemed to improve a lot.

Maybe that's a consequence of new firmware?

Current status: A speed test on 5GHz now works and reports good numbers but using wifi on 5GHz feels very "laggy" compared to before (I can see BBC/Amazon website images lazy loading which we didn't use to see; you click links, think they haven't worked because of lack of response, then click them again, on occasions clicking on a link just hangs).

I'll try resetting and more tests after work - I hope we haven't swapped an occasional DNS problem for poor general 5GHz performance (which would be bizarre!)

I'll report back later when I get a chance, hopefully it will settle during the day. Fingers cross 🙂

Thanks,

Gerald

Gez
0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Good Morning Gerald

The router firmware has now been updated 🙂

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi Gerald

No problem. FW version 2816 did have a reported issue with DNS but this wasn't affecting all customers.

The new FW resolved this issue so this is the FW I will pushing to the router.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Will do. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this weirdness for us.

Gez

Message 12 of 25

Hi Gerald

No problem 🙂

Please can you leave the router powered up.

If you do notice that you lose connection around this time please don't reboot the router.

I will post back here to confirm once the FW update has been fully completed.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

That would be perfect - thank you!

Gez

Message 14 of 25

Hi Gerald

Would it be ok if I did the update tomorrow morning 06:30?

websanity
Team Player
Private Message
Message 15 of 25

Thanks, now I know what we have 🙂

Any chance you could put in diary to update firmware tomorrow (or do they update overnight) - busy day working from home on a Monday and don't want to have a dropout if it can be avoided. Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers,

Gerald

Gez
0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Hi Gerald

Thank you 🙂 Found it, It's a G.fast connection.

Would you like me to make a change to the router firmware or would you prefer to monitor the connection for a bit longer?

0 Likes

websanity
Team Player
Private Message
Message 17 of 25

Sorry I had the original TT number in there but our old number got ported across over that so I have updated that and put the account ID in the "personal notes" section. Hopefully you can find us now.

Cheers,

Gerald

Gez

Message 18 of 25

Hi Gerald

Thanks for your reply. It's because I can't locate any details using your telephone number.

Could you add your TalkTalk account number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

websanity
Team Player
Private Message
Message 19 of 25

Hi,

It's not future fibre for sure. FTTC I don't know, sorry.

The package is "Fibre 150"; we are an ex-Virgin Media customer with cable infrastructure but I don't think the engineer used any of that (engineer had to reconnect line in road to get working) fitted box on wall with integrated filter, ZT Link modem (G.fast MT992 if that means anything to you).

Does that help? I can grab you any details from router admin etc. if you need them.

Cheers,

Gerald

Gez

Message 20 of 25

Hi Gerald

Do you have a FTTC or FTTP connection?

0 Likes