cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Full Fibre - Restrictions on Remote Desktop Access

JamesyD1
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 11

Is there some restriction or firewall in place which prevents remote access to our laptop by our company IT services?

We have (finally - see other posts) just had full fibre installed which is working (with issues) as of yesterday. However, my wife has been having problems with her calendar and office software synching with here colleagues whilst working from home today. She contacted her company IT dept who usually then get access to her laptop remotely and use the TeamViewer platform to do so. However, today they could not access at all and have said it is due to our ISP/TalkTalk having some issue or blocker in place that must be preventing use of TeamViewer and remote desktop access.

Naturally, we tried calling TalkTalk just now 2-3 times to speak to a human in technical support. But the menu-driven process now forces all queries onto an online query process that is accessed via text message. This is totally useless as it does not have a means of asking the types of questions we have. Again, TalkTalk really need to have specific lines of enquiry and phone numbers for different types of issues - and with a sense of accommodating some urgency.

We upgraded to FullFibre500 to make working from home more smooth. But on the first day, we find my wife can't even do what she has been able to do for years on the lower grade Fibre65 service when she has had many IT help sessions using TeamViewer.

Its not been a good early start for FullFibre500 in this household and TalkTalk is supposed to facilitate its customers communicating with you - not hinder it by driving all nature of queries into  robotic online selection processes.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

I am not completely sure what the message was - but my wife's IT support just said they cannot install/access the TeamViewer app because of something preventing it at the ISP level.

The order is probably showing as 'next update on 4th Oct'  - that's what the order system was showing on Friday when I called in to complain. Debbie on this community has the info.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Fibre-Broadband-Activation-Contact-Issues/m-p/3067394#...

One other point/moan is that the previous service Fribre65 via the phone line into the house seems to have been switched off yesterday afternoon. This is really, really silly. Especially as you say the order is showing as incomplete. We could have been using the existing service today and my wife would have had no problem switching back to the the wifi via the other router.

Why on earth switch off the exisiting service before the new one is completed, let alone the issues we have with the new Fibre500 Service. I will add this to the other post.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thanks. It doesn't look as though the order has completed on our systems yet as I can't view the connection stats. Do you know what happens when they try to connect TeamViewer, do you know if there's an error message?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi Chris -  yes, the connection has been in place since yesterday morning when BT Openreach engineer fixed the issue at the fibre exchange that was reported on Thursday and referred to in my other posts.

Of course, I have been moaning about the poor and inconsistent wifi signal strength and speed too - but that's another story!

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Gliwmaeden2 -  good point. So I just checked on the eero app if there are any security settings that might be to blame. But no, there are no blockers or sites or apps configured that might be stopping access via TeamViewer. I didn't set any anyway.

It must be an issue with the TalkTalk account settings driven by the defaults they force on the FTTH service since we never had any such issues before.

We can't WFH like this - its ridoculous that a supposedly higher grade broadband package causes all these issues.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Sorry, yes missed the bit about Fibre 500. If you're using an eero spam protection shouldn't be an issue. Just to confirm, are you able to get an internet connection through the eero on your full fibre service?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

@Chris-TalkTalk, if the customer is on Fibre500, they using an Eero.

In which case it's all to do with the Eero's settings?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi Chris - yes it is my current phone number which had to confirm when joining this community on Friday. Its best to use the mobile number given there is still an outstanding issue of not being to connect our landline phone to the eero router for VOI  😉

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Scam protection is usually enabled by default, it's possible that changing your service has re-enabled it. Could you check the telephone number in your community profile and confirm that it's your current TalkTalk home telephone number

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Chris - thanks for the fast reponse.

Sorry, but this doesn't really help me immediately for the following reasons:

- I have assumed that such settings for HomeSafe are in My Account > My Security .... is that right?   If yes, then when I try to access, there is a technical error message and nothing that can be viewed or changed.

- I have been a TalkTalk customer for years and on the previous Fibre65 service never had any such settings to contend with. In other words, why should upgrading to FullFibre500 suddenly invoke these settings preventing TeamViewer that I have never had or chosen before?

- My point about communicating with Talktalk is still pertinent given I am having to sit and type back and forth like this when a dedicated phone number for technical issues could solve this in 2 mins.

I do appreciate your input - but you're flying blind as I am given you can't walk me through this stuff directly.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi JamesyD1,

This could be caused by your HomeSafe settings, disabling spam protection should allow TeamViewer to be used (the settings are in My Account)

Chris

0 Likes