cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

I need to re- set my ethernet Adapter frequently

shipboard
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

My ethernet connection from my router to my device is slow. I have run a speed test to my router and that appears to be OK.  My connection keeps dropping and to fix this I have to keep re setting my ethernet adapter.  I have tried turning off my router for 30 minutes and re setting it but this resolves the matter in the short term and then reverts back to dropping the connecttion.  I do not know if this is significant but when I make a telephone call I have crackling on the line, can you help?

shipboard.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

Openreach maintain the main socket up to the test socket.

Thanks

Message 2 of 16

Hi shipboard 

Just popping in to say that if the Master Socket was installed by Openreach in the last 12 months then the entire Master Socket is the responsibility of Openreach as a warranty item.

If not under warranty then the demarcation point is the removable faceplate. The fixed part of the Master socket including the test socket and incoming wiring is the responsibility of Openreach. The removable, service specific, faceplate is the responsibility of the user along with all telephone socket extensions.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

shipboard
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 3 of 16

Thank you for the reply.I have no extensions, who is responsible for the Master socket, me or openreach?

shipboard.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Do you have any extension sockets? If the instability has only returned after the router was re-connected at the main socket with the faceplate re-connected then it's possible that it could be related to the faceplate or possibly internal wiring.

Thanks

0 Likes

shipboard
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 5 of 16

I replaced the Master socket faceplate on Tuesday after 72 hours on the test socket.  My computer was OK for a couple of days and now it has started disconnecting from the internet again with the message gateway not available.

Your thoughts.

shipboard.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Did you notice if any of the lights changed on the router? If this does re-occur once the faceplate is re-connected then this would suggest a possible issue with the faceplate, internal wiring or a piece of equipment connected to the line. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

The internet has dropped a couple of times during the last 72 hrs it has been connected to the test socket, however the speeds both to my router and from my router to my device have remained constant at around 28mbps. I intend to put back the faceplate on the master socket and re connect my router and tel line and see how that goes.  If my system reverts back to my previous problems of dropping my internet connection and slow speeds I presume this could be a problem with the internal filter built into the Master socket, is this correct.

shipboard.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the connection looks stable for 3 days and the sync speed also looks consistent. How have you found the overall performance of the connection since the router has been connected at the test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi shipboard

Thank you. We will also check the connection stats again on Monday.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Yes no problem.

shipboard.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi,

Would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for at least 24-48hrs to see how both the stability and speed compares in this set up please?

Thanks

0 Likes

shipboard
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 12 of 16

Yes, I understand I must plug a filter into the test socket and then the router cable into the filter is this correct?  how long should I run the test for.

shipboard

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. Does it look like one of the below?

Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

0 Likes

shipboard
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

My Socket is a openreach Mk 4 Master Socket C5 I have looked inside it would appear to me that there is no test socket. I await your reply

shipboard.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has been varying and also re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes