cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Issues connecting with Talk talk hub on Linux Mint 20.2

PetersPK
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hello all,

I am trying to connect my Linux PC to my talk talk hub.

I have installed the compatible driver for it and it happily works with my phone hotspot so I would assume its something to do with the router. I am asking the Mint forums too and I have done everything I can on the Driver side/mint side.

What happens is that the Network shows up, I select it, after 10 seconds it asks for the password, and then waits another 10 seconds and asks for the password again.... and keeps in that loop

It is device version FAST 5364-3.T8 Sagemcom (on the label)
or  FAST 5364-3.00 on the system GUI

Software version SG4K10002816t

There are currently about 6 devices connected and no issue with any of the others

Here is a link to the output of inxi -Fxxxrz && rfkill list && iwconfig && mokutil --sb-state

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

So have you had WiFi Optimisation turned off by TalkTalk. This can only be done by TalkTalk & I guess your landlord will have to create a thread requesting it be turned off.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Okay so my bad.... I actually didn't switch the inbuilt wifi off on my Windows 7 laptop when I did this (clever me) and its doing the exact same thing, saying 'network security key mismatch'

Again it connects to my phone hotspot absolutely fine

Haven't seen my landlord yet but he might be open to me making 'adjustments' so if you could send me the settings it would be much appreciated.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

f this adapter works in your Windows PC but not the LM one, then the LM installation of the network adapter is your problem. I have only used Ethernet adapters in LM, so cannot help you I am afraid.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

PetersPK
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hello Keith, thank you for your reply.

Interference

So basically my Wi-fi Adaptor I am using is a 2.4/5GHz dongle, and I have tried forcing it to connect with the 5GHz protocol. I am not in a vastly densely populated area and honestly I doubt interference is the problem as none of my other devices have an issue and this adaptor actually works and connects fine in my windows laptop.

With regards to TalkTalk's wifi optimisation.... I am in a rented property and so I can only ask my landlord if he'd do that for me although he probably wouldn't want me messing with it. I am however happy to pull some diagnostic info off the router if that is helpful. I will talk to my landlord as soon as i get the chance.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Assuming that you are using the correct password, the next thing I would look at is WiFi interference. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

I realise that you say other devices connect OK, but are they near your LM PC & if so, which WiFi band are they connected to?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes