cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Local fibre work, complete outages and massively reduced uplink bandwidth

crustyg
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

I know that our area is scheduled for FTTP about now, and some white vans were pulling multi-core fibre.  Numerous complete disconnections over the last week, sometimes >1 per day, recently followed by miserable network performance that affects all 4 machines around me (different VPN clients, different data connections, different o/s etc.) so someone/something somewhere is affecting network bandwidth.  Seems to clear after some time (at least a cup of coffee...).  My TT connection is VDSL (hence OpenReach) before LLU at exchange.

Status shows no known issues in my area (SO53), but someone isn't being honest.

Any info, please?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Glad to hear that there's been some improvement, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Have removed the OpenReach VDSL router, tidied up the cables (working on brownie points).  So far so good.  Speed test this AM is OK.

Found that *one* cause of my previously reported line drops was over-intrusive A/V software, now replaced from different vendor (almost as intrusive,  but it takes time to build a list of URLs that are acceptable).

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

No problem, whenever is convenient for you is fine 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Chris: I'll do this later when I've finished work.  Too much to do today to make cabling changes etc.  Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Your line profile isn't restricting your speed so could you switch the modem and router off and leave them off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved

Chris

Message 6 of 12

OK, good to know.  Weekend: unusually, I made a conscious effort to stay away from machines over this last weekend, so I don't know.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

OK  thanks. You don't need the Openreach modem, the Sagemcom router has a built in VDSL modem so you can connect it directly to the telephone socket. Have you noticed any disconnections over the weekend?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Yes that's correct Chris.  The Cu to our house connects to a VDSL router and the output of that connects to the TT-supplied switch/router-AP.  That's how it's always been since we moved to the 'super-fast' service.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Could you explain what your mean by VDSL unit, is the Sagecom connected to a modem?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Hi: there are no lights on the Sagemcom router that I have.  Haven't checked the vdsl unit that it connects to, shall check next time.  All of the TT speed tests that I've run today have shown poor speed, both down and up.  I wonder if it's OpenReach doing something without bothering to declare it.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. The connection looks stable and the sync speed (both up and down) look consistent. Can I just confirm, when you experience these outages do any of the lights change on the router? What speeds are you seeing at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes