cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

My VPN has stopped working. Help please.

blmetcalfe
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Hi,

Please could you help me. my VPN connection to work has stopped working and I am getting a message “A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection was closed”. It was working fine until a couple of days ago and hasn’t worked since. I am able to connect using other networks so guess this must be to do with my router. I have had the router for a couple of years and all has been fine. It’s a Sagemcom.

Please can you help as I need to be able to work from home and can’t at present.

Thanks very much.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 17

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

randomuser5673
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 17

Hi Debbie,

I have the same issue with my router, can you help me too?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Ben

Our Products Team have confirmed that your router will stay on this FW now and will only be updated again when the next firmware is available and fully tested.

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 4 of 17

I believe the products team are trying to ensure that once a router is rolled back to the previous firmware, it won't then auto upgrade back to the problem firmware again. So with any luck your router should stay on the working firmware until a new version of firmware that doesn't have this problem is released.

Message 5 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Really appreciate your help, I have tested the VPN and it is now working again. Thanks very much for the prompt fix. What can I do to stop it happening again? 

Many thanks.

Ben.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi blmetcalfe

Thank you 🙂

The firmware has now updated. Please can you retest and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi Debbie, 

Yes please that would be great. Thank you.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 17

Hi blmetcalfe

Sorry for the delay.

I can make a change to the firmware on your router which should resolve this issue. Are you happy for me to do this today?

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 17

The Support Team here probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

blmetcalfe
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 17

Hi team, unfortunately only after a few short weeks our router (details in previous post) has updated again spontaneously to firmware version SG4K100130 which has knocked out the ability to connect to the work VPN again, argh!. Skynet_TX and team please could the fix applied previously be re-applied to the router to get this working again in the short term, can I check what the long term solution to the problem is please as lots of people must be affected by this, can the updates be switched off? Would a different router solve the problem? Thanks very much for your kind help.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi blmetcalfe

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Thanks very much for investigating my problem and your kind help. The firmware changes you made to my router have resolved my problem and I can now connect to my VPN. Thank you very much. 5 stars. 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 17

Hi blmetcalfe

Apologies for this.

I have made a change to the firmware, please can you retest and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 14 of 17

Firmware version SG4K100130 is new, so what may well have happened is that your router recently upgraded to that version (it will just do it automatically overnight). Several customers who use the built in Windows VPN have experienced problems when they moved to firmware SG4K100130.

When the staff here are back on Monday they should be able to respond to this post, they will either be able to change some settings in your router, or if that is not possible they will be able to arrange a replacement router for you of a different type.

Message 15 of 17

Thank you for replying Skynet_TX. Yes, my router firmware version reads SG4K100130 and my VPN runs on Win10. The router has been no trouble at all and now this issue, argh! Grateful for help to get back up and running. Thanks!

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi @blmetcalfe,

If you browse to the router login screen at http://192.168.1.1/ and look towards the bottom of the screen, does it show the version as SG4K100130 ?

What VPN software are you using, is it the built in Windows 10/11 VPN ?

The combination of firmware SG4K100130 and the Windows 10/11 built in VPN has been causing a few issues recently.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.