cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Difference between Future Fibre and Fibre65

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

One for our TT Agents please: My son is getting some very confusing information from TT, he currently has an old standard copper connection and wants to upgrade to Fibre35 or 65.  Speaking to TT Upgrades he is told this is not available at his address but looking online Fibre is available from TT, BT & Vodaphone which is very confusing.  On a chat with TT I've been told he can have Fibre65 as a new contract but not an upgrade but this is called Future Fibre which I can't find any info on.

So a couple of questions, what is Future Fibre65 and how is it different from Fibre65 and how should he go about upgrading his contract to get Fibre as it currently look easier just to switch to another supplier!

17 REPLIES 17

GerryMac
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 18

Hi,

Just too add my thoughts.. I wasn,t aware that you could get Full Fibre 65 so went for the FF150 Data only and the engineer worked along with me in siting the ONT. The hall was the best place after considering the living room so the ONT, the Eero and a table lamp are connected to an electrical extension as I,ve only one socket in hall.

My speed has increased by about 25MBps to 94 since the change over..wether this will change in future is anyone,s call. Might go back to the Full Fibre 65 in 18 months time.

Cheers

YNWA-JFT 97

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

No need to apologise, its me confusing things by asking questions for my son

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Apologies I was going off the number in your community profile.  the setup and availability of the sockets are crucial for the equipment required for Future Fibre.

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 18

Yes I have been speaking to your Future Fibre team and they can install it but its not practical for my son as it either means running the fibre into his front room which would be unsightly  and take up 2 power sockets that he doesn't have free or running a cable halfway through the house which would be unsightly and they are not keen to do it.

The upgrades team though are unable to offer Fibre to Cabinet Fibre35 or 65 and wont price match your so called Fast Broadband product, remember though this is for my son not me so the address is BS41 9BL

It looks like he's stuck with his current wet piece of string connection so unless TT will price match he's as well to switch to Shell or Pop who will give me the same thing for less

Message 5 of 18

If future fibre was available the future fibre team would be the team who upgrade you. 

I have double checked and the only plans available are fibre 35 and 65.

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 18

I'm sorry to correct you Arne but Future Fiber is available at my property, this has been confirmed by your Future Fiber team but your Upgrade people dont seem to have the same information

Message 7 of 18

Hi macgd016

Future fibre is not available for the address at this time, but as we move towards taking customers away from copper based service this will change.

Our marketing team will let you know when the upgrade is available.

Regards

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 18

No Future Fibre is not an option under Offers & Upgrades but it is available for new business

Surely there is someone in TT who can sort this out without the need to setup a new account.  I'm sure the Exec office could do it but that is a real phaff

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi,

Does Future Fibre show as available if you log into your My Account, under offers and upgrades?

Thanks

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 18

The one outstanding question is how best to sign up for Future Fibre?  The Upgrade team seem unable to do this so as I'm out of contract should I set up a new contract or is there anyone in TT who can do this seamlessly?

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 18

I didn't but I have now!  Sadly they were completely clueless, they were only able to tell me that the fibre connection would be made to an ONT but he didnt really know what one was 🙄 

However, I have found the Future Fibre team (Openreach), 0345 17200744 Opt 4.  They are knowledgeable and explained it well. 

Essentially the Fibre line is taken from the street to the house and terminated in an external ONT box.  A hole is drilled into the house and connection made to an internal Fibre Connector Box, this is typically located next to the closest power point.  The Fibre Connector Box is connected to your router by Ethernet cable and the router also requires a power socket.  However, the Router can be located anywhere in the house and connected to the Fibre Connector Box using PowerLine adaptors to deliver the Ethernet connection.

All very straight forward and simple to explain provided you find the right person 😁

Message 12 of 18

Hi macgd016

Did you try Live Chat on this help page Guide to Future Fibre and FTTP | TalkTalk

This page is dedicated support for Future Fibre.

Thanks

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 18

The other question Debbie seems to be signing up for this service, the normal Upgrade people don't seem able to do this so is there a different 'Loyalty' number or is it best just to sign up as a new customer do you think?  

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 18

Yes I'd read that already thanks Debbie, but it doesn't cover some of the practical issues that might be encountered and it states that 4 power points are needed but I can't se why this would be.

I think we are ok with 2 power points near the external wall but as the Fibre65 contract comes only with a Super Router and not the new Mesh router I am a bit concerned about wifi range to the sitting room but provided I can use a PowerLine plug to pass the Ethernet from the Fibre Connector to the Router this can be overcome.  I assume this is possible? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi macgd016

This help page provides some further information in regards to the installation.

How Future Fibre is installed - TalkTalk Help & Support

0 Likes

macgd016
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

Thanks for that clarification, shame TT were unable to tell me this 🙄

It raises a few more questions though.  I assume that the engineer will want to fit the Fibre Connection Box as close to the external wall as possible and the router next to that, this suggests a double wall socket is needed as well?  In my son's house this wall is the furthest from the living room where the wifi is needed and his house is built from high density blocks so may block the wifi.  One way round this would be to use PowerLine to transmit the Ethernet between the Fibre Connector and the Router though although not ideal

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Useful information here, @macgd016:

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/talktalk-broadband-review

Ordinary Fibre35 and Fibre65 are still on copper from the cabinet, so known as Fibre to the Cabinet. You keep the phone line as usual. 

The Future Fibre65 is Fibre to the Premises. 

This does not use the copper wire for Broadband. Some customers have been able to keep the phone line as is for now. You will need to check this as it is on a case by case basis.

Better if your son registers in his own right on the forum for further advice from staff.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.