cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New DG8041W router not specified and not connecting to all devices

Urnie
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

After my new DG8041W router was unexpectedly delivered, and having 2 letters stating that if I do not use it that I might experience problems, I decided to swap it for my exisisting reliable TPLink one. The set up was reasonably straight forward. The computer connected easily using Network and password codes on the router card and I have been able to connect my mobiles, TV and Sky devices. They are still working fine. One device, My Pioneer SC-LX87 AV receiver has not connected. I use this a lot for internet radio. It has a DHCP server function activated and I believe that this should help it to connect automatically.

I have little knowledge of IT but have discovered that my new router appears as "unspecified" rather than being named. I have tried typing 192.168.1.1. into the address bar. The login screen opens but if I try to use the network name and password on the card with the router, it does not recognise it. ublock origin is installed but I have disabled this for Talk Talk. Apologies for my ignorance. Can you tell me what I should do next? 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

That is not the network configuration at all. What I need to see is this information, which you can only get from the AV receiver itself:-

IP address

Subnet Mask

Default Gateway

DNS server

I did also request if this is trying to connect to the WiFi booster or the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Thanks for getting back to me. I was not sure how to get the network information for the receiver. Is the attached what you wanted? I use Libre Office and worked out how to save it to Word. I hope it opens correctly for you. The extender is a NETGEAR  N300 Wifi Range Extender model EX2700. It worked with my original TPLink router and the receiver and has allowed other devices to connect to it. When connecting it adds the extension _EXT. Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

I requested in my previous post to see a screenshot of the network configuration of this AV receiver, please can you supply this information, otherwise, there is not much I can do to help. Also, what is this booster (make/model)? Is the AV supposed to be connecting to this, or the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

So I tried a few more things after staying away from it for a while but when I try to connect the receiver it eventually comes up with the message "server error". It is set up next to a booster and other devices seem to connect fine via the booster after being prompted to enter the password. It seems like the receiver cannot find the booster/router with DHCP on . The receiver appears greyed out on devices and printers but going through properties and troubleshooter does not help. It has a correct link under properties for the device,  http://192.168.1.128, but I am unable to load it. It comes up with the message "This site can’t be reached 192.168.1.128 took too long to respond." I have no idea where to go from here so any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

Does your AV receiver get its IP address information automatically via DHCP, if so, there is no need to enter these details on the device itself? Can you provide a screenshot of the problem in the DG8041W and one of the network configuration of the device?

Keith

0 Likes

Urnie
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the reply. I was then able to log in and see connected devices which did not include the AV receiver. The receiver is present amongst my devices via the control panel but is greyed out. I assume that some manual connection is required? On the menu for the receiver there is an option for entering IP addresses etc but I am very unsure as of what to do to about these, MAC addresses and Ports. I have tried a few combinations but it has never asked me to enter passwords etc and oviously still does not work. Should the router have been recognised by its name somewhere on the system?

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

@Urnie  the details on the card are for the WiFi only.

The 192.168.1.1 log in details are printed on the body of the router underneath the pull out card.

The username is admin (lowercase) and the password is unique to your device.

0 Likes