cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New Pole!

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

The pole bordering my home and my neighbour was replaced yesterday August 3rd.

This isn't a complaint but a query regarding the work done.

I initially attempted many many different avenues to contact Openreach about this but the level of response automation was farcical so I am following the prevailing advice gleaned from these abortive attempts, and contacting yourselves in the hope that someone can advise me! 

The job was excellently executed with little damage to the pavement around the pole.
My concern is with the cover of the terminal block at the top of the pole which has not been refitted in a manner which will protect the connections from the elements.
This may be due to the number of incoming lines, I counted 16, causing an excessive bulk which might interfere with the correct fitting of the cover.
I have no idea if it was correctly fitted when attached to the "retired" pole as the number of incoming lines was the same but my attention was never previously drawn to the cover.
Can someone please tell me if this is likely to cause the eventual degradation of the connections which are now no longer protected from the weather.
Here's a pic of the terminal box.

illfitting JB Cover.png
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 22

Hey, that is very public spirited of you, but Openreach should be called to account for shoddy and potentially dangerous work. Quite easily and for free on 0800 023 2023.  🙂

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 22

No biggie, it's just that I have two little ones next door, two and four and I wouldn't want them to get hurt.

It's just a little trim, no need to call in the cavalry!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 22

@Steamywee Don't you dare, Openreach will sue you for damage to their property!

Seriously, if you feel it poses a hazard/danger of any kind, you should report it to Openreach directly. 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 22

@ferguson You haven't lived until you have smelled the exotic scent of creosote from a freshly planted Pole wafting on the breeze!

Mine has the added benefit of really nasty splinters caused by the handling gear, about three feet from the ground, just where little fingers are most likely to reach.

I need to get my tools out to make it safe. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 22

I think that poles are a relic from the bygone era of telegraphy and the fact that Openreach are still using them as a means for  carrying FTTP services seems mind boggling. I am fortunate enough to be in an area where all the infrastructure is underground and even more so that there were no obstructions in the ducting to my house, Openreach were able to feed the fibre cable through and fit the external box in under half an hour with no disruptive work required at all, other than fixing it to the wall. 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 22

Telecoms has gone way beyond my comprehension, but I think you are right, there are 16 connections to "my"  pole, though one of them is a pole-to-pole line, no idea what that's about as both poles have dedicated manholes adjacent to them, the far pole (30mts away) also has a selection off cabinets too!

I would have thought that "interpole" connections would have been made underground.

0 Likes

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 22

I stand corrected.  I think it is the ONTs that are smaller now.  I would be interested to know how your installation goes.  I think it will be some time before I will be able to order although Openreach and other contractors have been pulling fibres in our area for a couple of years.  Last month they started installing the CBTs on the poles so who knows. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 22

Fairly standard judging by this

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

@Softy 

That was installed last week, over the existing entry point, ready to go for FTTP.

0 Likes

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 22

@Steamywee Correction, looking at your pole photo you will need not one 4-Way CBT but probably 2 x 8-Way CBTs for the number of lines served.

Regarding the phone line, fewer people require a fixed line these days so VOIP in some form is the only way to go.  There are problems with this where alarm systems, emergency calling systems etc are needed but I am sure this will be sorted before POTS is switched off.

@ferguson Thats a large CSP (Customer Service Point) you have there.  I think they are a fair bit smaller now.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 22

@ferguson now you're showing off! 😁

IWOOT 🤩

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 22

Yes, the recent free upgrade to FTTC offer got me investigating the world of FTTP.

The loss of the landline was a concern, which led me on to look into "Bluetooth Mobile Connectivity" aka "Link 2 Cell"  and "Mobile link Technology" which would enable use of the Landline Wireless Handsets either using the POTS if available, or a mobile phone's contract (when at home), regardless of whether there was a physical Landline to the property, to make and receive calls.

That would be helpful for me as I have trouble hearing the tinny little speakers on mobile phones and when out and about, I tend to use Earbuds, they're a Godsend!

0 Likes

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 22

@Steamywee Now you have a nice new pole you can probably expect to see one of these fitted to it before 2026.  It is a CBT or Connectorised Block Terminal to deliver FTTP to your property.

DSC01004.png
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 22

😉

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 22

@Softy Wow! that makes my work look super tidy! 😁

0 Likes

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 22

I wouldn't worry as your junction box looks similar to those around our area which are 30 years or more old.  The 'cover' in your picture is not actually a cover as such but the junction box itself.  Pictures of typical 'tidy' BT/Openreach work attached.

IMG_20220807_063548.pngIMG_20220807_063605.png

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 22

You know the way that Openreach work: one team to fit the pole; one team to climb the pole; one team to connect the cables; one team to install the cover; one team to come and check the cover ....

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 22

I have to agree, it does look untidy and prone to weather damage, especially since that pic was taken looking at the southerly aspect of the pole, the direction of approach of the majority of rain/sleet/snow in months to come!

I've eventually managed to email Openreach via BT's email address: consumer-resolutionteam AT bt.com.

Maybe they'll sort it.

Edit:  found an email address for Clive Selley, CEO Openreach that may yield a response!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 22

Amazing to think that 21st century communications company still regards that as a suitable way of connecting up its service!

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Yes, Fixed!

The original pic the ubiquitous .jpg seems to be unacceptable to TT!

Tried changing the File type to .png, which is acceptable to most of the western world, also not suitable for TT!

Opened the .jpg pic in Pohotoshop and re saved as .png and there we have it!!! 😅

0 Likes