cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No internet - flashing amber light

ajackson96
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

I've had no internet for four days now, just a constant flashing amber light. A fault was found two days ago and apparently an openreach engineer came and fixed the fault yesterday. My talk talk box is still flashing amber constantly, no white light. Customer service now say there is no fault and the issue is to do with my home setup. Please see below things I have tried:

- Turned router off and on

- Reset router using the pin hole button

- Used the test socket

- Used a different grey dsl broadband cable

- Used a different microfilter

- Even checked the wiring within the master socket

All result in the exact same, flashing amber light, that occasionally turns off for a second before flashing again. The amber light probably flashes for about 45 minutes before the router just turns itself off. Is this a router problem? That is the only thing left I can think off, but TalkTalk want me to pay £50 for an engineer to come, which I'm not doing. Does anyone have any advise on what I can do?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Roby4532
Team Player
Private Message
Message 1 of 14

The compensation scheme is a joke! I have had little to no broadband service since the start of the pandemic and for £29+ a month I was only given a £10.00 Amazon voucher as a goodwill gesture... TalkTalk keep sending out Openreach engineers who always tell me the problem is not with their equipment but the service provider; so don't expect much because you'll get almost nothing!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've included our help guide below which contains more information on how this works.

About your auto compensation credit

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 14

Forum staff don't have responsibility for the automatic compensation system, @ajackson96. There is also a delay before that is paid, so they won't be able to chase it for you for 30 days at the absolute minimum. 

The compensation scheme doesn't actually specify whether the problem has to have been with the line or the router as the cause - just total loss of service for x days etc.

All anybody can do is wait - probably into the New Year, given that 30 days gets us into the Xmas period, and you  have been forewarned that there are industry-wide delays in the delivery of compensation. 

I am afraid that you simply have to wait and see before chasing it up.

It is possible to have discretionary goodwill gestures, but you are likely to have to wait for the automatic system to take its course before anyone can consider that.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 14

This is a tricky one. If the fault was with the router rather than the actual internet service, I'm not sure if they will pay compensation for that.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Thanks, the new router solved the problem proving the old router was at fault. Apparently compensation is automatic once I'm back online, is there a way to check this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

HI Alex

The router was showing as dispatched on 23/11. If you haven't received this by this afternoon then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 14

@ajackson96  compensation should be automatic once the fault is fixed and the days without service are known.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

Message 9 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Do you know the progress of this router being delivered please? Unless they deliver it overnight tonight it will not come within 48 hours. Could you let me know how I can claim compensation as well please as I will have been without internet for over a week now.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Alex

No problem 🙂  The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 11 of 14

Hi Debbie,

Yes please that would be great! I think it must either be the router or the openreach engineer didn't fix the initial fault properly, as everything else is fine. The router has been working fine for 11 months up until this point.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hi ajackson96

I'm sorry to hear this.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule this out?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi @ajackson96,

Do you have a landline phone you can connect to the socket to see if the phone line is working, if so can you dial 17070, this will read back the phone number for the line, can you ensure this is the number you expect (i.e. the number shown in My Account).

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

If there was a fault on the line that required Openreach then it probably isn't a router problem, but if the staff here did want to eliminate that as a possibility they would be able to send you a replacement router to test with.