cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Ongoing DNS errors on connection

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

I have a significant issue with my broadband. I am rarely able to access web pages, with each giving DNS_PROBE_STARTED errors followed by DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. This occurs on wired and wireless connections. 

If I reboot the router it is usually OK for 15-20 minutes before it stops again. 

In the router logs I see numerous messages of the format

2022-08-15 13:17:46 [Informational][Debug-Log] static:DNS service of wan3 is abnormal
2022-08-15 13:18:06 [Informational][Debug-Log] static:DNS service of wan3 is recovered

I tried phoning Talk Talk support earlier, but they were utterly useless - they seemed more concerned that I had a disconnected Powerline adaptor than dealing with the actual problem, and of course when the router was rebooted they seemed to think it was all sorted. 

Is there any way to get assistance from someone with actual technical knowledge?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

Is this a date for your FTTP installation?

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 2 of 17

Apologies for the delay in replying, I as on holiday last week. 

The new router arrived and I connected it before I went away. It seems to be working better than before, however I did see the connection speed drop significantly after it had been connected for a few days. Now I'm back from holiday I'll continue to monitor it and see how it performs. 

However, this may be irrelevant as I have also received notification that OpenReach will be installing fibre to the premises in a fortnights time. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Andy

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Andy

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 17

Yes please, trying an alternative router might be a good option

Message 6 of 17

Hi Andy

The issue with DNS was reported on the Sagemcom hub and that's why I was checking the firmware.

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 17

No, just the one that's connected. 

Current status is that after a reboot last night it has stayed up overnight, but experience suggests it'll go down again at some point today. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi Andy

Thank you. I can see a Huawei WIFI hub connected at the moment. Do you have the Sagemcom WIFI hub too?

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 17

I have added this as requested 

Message 10 of 17

Hi Andy

Please can you add the serial number from the back of your router to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 11 of 17

The broadband was working last night, but by this morning had the same problem as before. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Morning,

Please let us know if this does happen again and we can investigate this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 13 of 17

I have powered it down for approx 40 minutes before powering back on. It's working now, but the usual patter will be that it fails soon. I will let you know how this gets on. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi andyh12345,

Thanks for updating your profile. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

andyh12345
Participant
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

I have updated the information as requested.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes