cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Frequent disconnects

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hello there ,

Ive been a talk talk customer for almost two years for which a majority of this I had absolutely no issues. 

However last 3/4 months Ive had issues every single day , either with speed , frequent disconnects from the internet or both. After many different engineers came and went none seem to fix anything permanently and the problems would come back sometimes even the same day.

About the problems , when everything is working fine , I would get 250 mb/s average download. However sometimes for no apparent reason , my internet would drop down to around 5 mb/s speed. I would sometimes leave the router off for a while and upon turning it back on the speed would seem to increase back up to about a 100. However I would still get disconnected sometimes 5 times in an hour, rendering it unusable. 

The engineers that would come would find no issues in my setup , and after a suggested modem and router replacement the problems still continued. The talktalk service centre would sometimes show theres a fault in my line but after another 5 minutes it would show everything is working fine.

After so many engineer visits and no resolutions in sight this is probably my last ditch effort to find a way to fix this.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi Taurijus

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 21

Yes he tested at the socket and it’s connected to the socket 🙂

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Taurijus

Did the engineer test at the test socket? Is the router at the test socket at the moment?

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 21

Yeah sure , do you think the socket could be the problem, and would an engineer be able to pinpoint and fix?

I would feel bad if the engineer came and wasint able to fix anything 😅

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hi

This will need an Openreach engineer to resolve, would you like to progress with this ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 21

Oh and I also told him to check the logs on Yukon like you said , he saw the errors and that there is an issue , but wasint able to pin point why its like that.

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 21

So its been 2 days since the engineer came on thursday. When he came he did a few checks and could tell there is a fault somewhere but oculdint point out exactly what it was. He reset the line and told us he cant find out what the problem is while it is working fine. After the line was reset it seemed to be working fine, 300 mb/s speed and no disconnects. Yesterday after work there were a few disconnects but the speed was still above 250 mb. Today however I came home to the internet being off and the dsl light completely off. I turned it off for 15 min turned it back on , and still nothing was changing. I tried checking the connections on all the wires and making sure theyre all in properly , but still no. Then I took of the cover for the master socket , blew gently on the sockets and put it back. Almost immediately the dsl light started blinking and after a few minutes the internet was back on. 

Could this mean the problem is most likely the master socket? Or it could still be anywhere on the line? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi Taurijus,

If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 21

Yes please 🙂

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Would you like us to arrange an Openreach engineer visit for you and we can confirm some details?

Thanks

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 21

So a cube engineer came , not an openreach one. He done a few tests and the first test he done my speed was around 25 mb/s. Which was a lot lower than the test you had done the same day. He done another test before leaving which was higher around a 100 mb. He suspects a fault in the line because of the intermittent drops in speeds and the disconnects , and believes even though the tests did come clear there is something going on. He advised me to get talktalk to send an openreach engineer to come take a look as they will be able to look into it further. But Im a little worried that if they see the line tests come clear , they will not bother investigating further and my issues will remain. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 21

Okay ill tell him that thank you very much. Will update you on the details 🙂

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi

OK, when the engineer arrives, let him know that..... there are sporadic errors showing in YUKON and a lot of unavailable upstream seconds showing at various times of the day / night.

YUKON is an Openreach system that shows the DLM logs every 15 minutes by Date, so ask the Openreach engineer to check the YUKON logs via the Openreach portal.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 21

Hey karl,

I have an engineer coming later today but like Ive said previously I had many come but fail to pinpoint or fix the issue. I will see what the engineer will say an update you here. But I doubt it will be anything different from the previous times. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi

OK, the next option is to arrange an engineer for you. Would you like to progress to this now ?

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 21

Im usually the most active from 6 to 10 on the days im working and then frequently throughout the day when im not working. However my partner is at home with our child and she says it happens throughout the whole day.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi

I see a lot of these times in the early hours, What sort of times are you active on the internet etc, is it afternoons , evenings, or the early hours of the morning, 2,3am etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Taurijus
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

I usually try keep it on all the time , however sometimes the internet keeps disconnecting every 2 / 3 minutes consistently and it only stops if I turn off my router for 15 min and turn it back on. Have to do that a lot these days.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi

The usual tests are clear, but when looking at the DLM logs over the last 96 hours I'm seeing some error bursts and lots of unavailable seconds.  Have you been turning the router off a lot or do you keep the router on at all times etc.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes