cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Port Forwarding Minecraft - 25565

Jessi_
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

This hasn't been talked about recently at all and I'm having no luck with it.
I've made a Minecraft server and want people to join it online but to do that, you have to port forward 25565.
I've done this before and got it to work with another Broadband before switching to TALKTALK.

On the Port Forwarding tab I first tried these settings below.
Internal host is my IPv4 which I had seen in cmd when typing ipconfig.

Jessi__0-1695128738328.png

Using a Port Checker online, I check if my port is open every time I made a change. 
This didn't work.

Then I tried only a TCP Protocol.

Jessi__1-1695129158398.png

Didn't Work.

There is a games & applications tab next to port forwarding but Minecraft was not in the list.

After that, I went into firewall tab. I chose custom. 
and added a new rule 
Local IP being the IPv4 address.

Jessi__2-1695129641052.png

Going to be honest and say I wasn't sure at all if this was correct. I knew I just knew I had to let Minecraft through my firewall and wondered if these settings would make a difference, but they did not
Once again I try TCP on it's own, I also try splitting them so they have UDP and TCP Separate for whatever reason. It did nothing.
So from that, I go into Windows Defender Firewall.
I make new rules for Minecraft TCP & UDP on each Inbound and Outbound rules.

Jessi__3-1695129981656.png

Jessi__5-1695130112985.png

All together did not work.

I wanted to see if it was a Minecraft issue. I reinstalled Minecraft, no change.
I thought my router just needed a restart, I turned it off for 30 seconds and turned it on again.
When I did that with my last broadband router, the public IP would always change but it did not change my public IP.
My knowledge is not great on this topic of port forwarding and IP addresses. But, my last broadband had an IPv6. It seems, I do not have an IPv6 anymore. I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it.
I really don't know how to solve this. Has TALKTALK has completely blocked port 25565? 
Did I do something wrong? Maybe my IP isn't correct somehow..?
Even if I cannot get it fixed, I would want closure to know that port 25565 cannot open from my IP.

⊹˚.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

You're very welcome, glad to help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi @KeithFrench ,

Thanks so much, It works now. Simpler than I thought. 🙂
I did everything you said and my port opened after starting the server and running the game.
I ended up testing it with a friend to see if they could join and they could.
Thank you!

⊹˚.
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Jessi_ 

Your Windows firewall rules are wrong as well. You have again see both ports to 25565. You do not need a UDP rule & neither do you need outbound rules. Just create the inbound rule with the local TCP port set to 25565 and allow across all domains..

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Jessi_ 

I have just realised that you have been changing the router's firewall, that is wrong. Please delete those changes.. it is the PC's firewall you need to set the inbound rule in.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Jessi_ 

First, make sure that this PC hosting Minecraft has a DHCP-reserved IP address in the router.

For the port forwarding, go with your second attempt in the router, as it is TCP 25565. The problem looks to me to be your firewall rule. You need an inbound rule but you mustn't specify the port 25562 in both the local  & remote ports, as that will never work. You have no control over which port will be the source port coming in from the internet, it will most likely be between 1024 - 65535. Just specify 25565 in the local port of an inbound TCP rule & delete any outbound rules that you have created for this.

This should now report as open (with Minecraft running in server mode) from a port-checking website.

Never try to connect to the Minecraft PC from another device connected to your router, using the router's WAN IP address, that will never work. Any IP packet that goes out to the internet & back into the router, will be blocked by the router. This is classed as NAT Loopback which most TalkTalk routers consider a security vulnerability. If you want to connect locally to this PC, just use its 192.168.1.x IP address. If you do want to test locally via the WAN IP address, then use a smartphone, disconnect it from your Wi-Fi and use its mobile data.

Keith