cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Problems after high winds?

Frustrated24
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

We have two TalkTalk broadband lines.  The "older" line has a telephone connection but broadband does not work.  The router was showing one constant light and one flashing light. 

To check that the problem was not the router, I swapped the lines between the old and new lines so that the "old line" was now going to the new router and the new line was going to the old router.

The result is that the old line connected to the new router also does not "work".  This newer router just has a single flashing red light showing.

This shows that the problem is with the line and not the router.

I tried the testing page https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/status-check/results  and it shows the phone number of the "old line" and says:

Good news—you've got a healthy broadband connection

I think what it is testing is the line that you use to connect to the website, not the line whose phone number is showing!

Have there been outages in southeast England  related to the high winds?

Is there a way I can get a check on the "old line" without having to connect to a website using it (which is impossible)?

Thanks

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi Frustrated24,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can look into this further

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Yes as far as I know - what are your tests showing?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi Frustrated24

Is the other landline number correct in your Community Profile? (the line/connection you are experiencing a fault with)

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

No it is exactly like the other line it is fibre to the cabinet (miles away) and then twisted pair from there.

We will supposedly be getting FTTP here at some point...

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Just a quick question, is this a data only Future Fibre line (FTTP)?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

No problem, I'll take a look at the other line now and get back to you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Hi Chris

Many apologies!  I must have been having a senior moment... the one ending in 52 is perfectly fine - it is the other one.
Sorry to have wasted your time...

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi Mike,

You said in your earlier post (on the 17th) that the line with the problem is the one ending in '52', that's the one I checked, is it the other line that has the problem and needs checking?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Chris

There must have been a misunderstanding - you said the router was showing as connected to the internet - it has been off for over 24 hours (since early on Sunday at least)!

Are you sure you are not looking at the wrong line?

The phone number for the wrong line ends in "52".

It is the the other line that has a problem.

This may explain why you guys are having a hard time seeing my problem!

Either that or your system shows everything is fine and "connected to the internet"  when in fact the router is not even switched on!!

What is going on?

Thanks

Mike

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi Frustrated24,

How has it been over the weekend? What colour is the light at the moment (showing connected to internet at our end)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Please see my post above where I ruled out a router problem.

Are you saying that the line looks fine from your end?

If that is the case then somewhere between the last point your test reaches and the line coming into my house, there is a problem.

I note that there has been ongoing Openreach work in the area - is it possible they accidentally caused this problem?

Please reread the previous posts.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. It's not showing any issues, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Good morning - just one flashing red light (it's the new router).

After restarting the router it stays the same.

Are you able to somehow get a response from my router to check that its health?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. What lights are currently on the router at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Sorry for the delayed reply - yes it was connected all day but just shows a red flashing light on the "new router" where I have left it.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

OK thanks. I've checked the line and the router appears to be connected to the internet at the moment - do you currently have no internet connection?

Chris

0 Likes

Frustrated24
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

OK - it seems my reply disappeared...
There are two numbers listed in my profile - each has a broadband line - the one with the problem ends in "52".

Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

Hi Frustrated24,

Is the line with the issue the one with the telephone number listed in your community profile?

Chris

0 Likes