cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router replacement

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

Throughout the year, I’ve been experiencing intermittent internet connection freezes, where there’s no response from the router for several minutes. I’ve checked and confirmed that the firmware on my router (Huawei DG8041W) is up to date. Would it be possible to send me a newer model, please (perhaps the Sagemcom WiFi hub)?

Thank you!

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Afternoon,

Ok thanks for confirming. Just to add, we do have a newer version of firmware for the Sagemcom router which is just being rolled out.

Michelle

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

Hi Debbie, thanks for getting back to me!

No, the Sagemcom is disconnected. I got back to the previous router (Huawei) as it gives me a better experience and expect for 3rd party TP-Link Archer VR2800 to arrive very soon. 

I do remember though, that the firmware on Sagemcom Fast 5464 I received, is 174. To add to my previous post is that the problem remained after the factory reset of the router as well. 

To save everyone's efforts, it would be probably better to close this thread as I intend to return the replacement router anyway and switch to the Archer VR2800.

Thank you!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm sorry for the delay.

Is the Sagemcom WIFI hub connected at the moment? I will need to check the firmware version.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

Thanks, @Gliwmaeden2 @KeithFrench . Yes, I know the Huawei one is deprecated but still better than the Sagemcom I received 😞 Anyway, I plan to give a 3rd party equipment a go, ordered TP-Link Archer VR2800.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Anonymous 

The Huawei as @Gliwmaeden2 says, it will not get any firmware updates & further to that it has been discontinued.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 6 of 11

I'd hold off till staff have a chance to check what's going on now with the Sagemcom, @Anonymous.

The Huawei will never get another update, so eventually becomes potentially less secure etc. It will therefore be of limited use.

Equipment can be returned using the supplied returns bag and label. Better to return the Huawei!

Keep a certificate of posting from the post office to track its receipt at the other end.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

Hi Debbie and Keith, thank you again for promptly sending the replacement router.

I have set it up, and while the downlink/uplink speeds seem generally fine, I’m experiencing significant latency issues, particularly on the uplink—even with a wired connection. I’ve outlined my findings in the brief study below.

TL;DR: There seems to be an issue with the VDSL modem on the Sagemcom router I received.

To try to pinpoint the issue with the new router from Sagemcom (SG) I compared it with my older TT one from Huawei (HW) across different scenarios: (1) wired connection (Laptop to LAN), (2) wireless connection (Wi-Fi 5GHz), and (3) a combined setting where the HW router acts as a “modem” with the SG router’s WAN connected to the LAN of the HW router.

Wired connection (LAN).

HW:

neuro_sam_0-1725093752439.png

SG:

neuro_sam_1-1725093829299.png

Wireless connection (WiFi 5GHz).

HW:

neuro_sam_2-1725093887406.png

SG:

neuro_sam_3-1725093896673.png

"Modem mode" HW -> SG ->

Wired:

neuro_sam_4-1725093993030.png

Wireless:

neuro_sam_5-1725094003422.png

I’m not sure if there’s an easy fix for this, but for now, I’ve decided to switch to a third-party router.

I would like to keep my older TT router (Huawei) and return the new Sagemcom router (including power adapter and stuff). Could you please advise on the return process? Should I just use the mailing bag and return postage label that came in a box with the replacement router?

Many thanks!

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Hi Debbie,

Thank you! Will do.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Anonymous 

I've ordered you a replacement router, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

The DG8041W has been discontinued. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and advise you what they can do.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?