cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Sluggish broadband

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 96 of 96

Could you possibly check stability of my line? It's not down to the low speeds of the summer, but sometimes dips considerably. 

I've noticed a very few disconnections since the upheaval in the summer, but one was several minutes, in the past 3 weeks. Got back from holiday on 4th September, so you are looking at records since then.

The Service Centre is showing a marvellous 16, and I usually get 12 - 14 on my smartphone. 

Computer is not now plugged in and will need huge updates if I ever get it installed down in my living room (where it will be a real nuisance).

So I have changed absolutely nothing with the set up since the engineer was here.

The first speed test I did today showed 8Mbps and I ran that because I had noticed slow responses. Therefore it is affecting performance. 

Speed Centre has not shown previous speed test results now for over a year, regardless of which router I was using. 

Am still giving occasional lessons on Skype, and there have been warnings about Poor Connection on there too.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
95 REPLIES 95

Message 41 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

The fault ticket just says Remote Repair but doesn't give any more details. I'll run a line test now to check to see if it's still picking up a potential fault

Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 96

@Chris-TalkTalk, Openreach has sent me this, but I am holding off replying to them until you have had time to monitor things from your end.

20221001_175508.jpg

What would they have been doing to fix things....? I won't be using the home wifi much before Monday as it's a busy weekend, so am unable to assess properly till you get back anyway. 

Maybe we should monitor it till about Wednesday 5th, which still leaves plenty of time to either keep the appointment or cancel?

Service Centre just gives me exclamation marks (with no explanation) for the end of last week:

20221002_082445.jpg

Speed reading around breakfast on Sunday is good, but I wonder if the upload speed is wobbly. The reading process always starts nearly at the maximum, but dips and then recovers somewhat, as though it is varying too much.

20221002_082408.jpg

0 Likes

Message 43 of 96

No problem, yes, you'll probably receive a notification from Openreach nearer the date 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 96

Thanks for confirming that, @Chris-TalkTalk.

I'll keep your post handy as it's a useful summary to wave at the engineer on the 12th.

Presumably I'll get a text/email coming through from Talktalk/Openreach confirming the new date.

I know you have sorted it out - no further communications from them about the 4th, thankfully. 

0 Likes

Message 45 of 96

The SNR is fluctuating which indicates that background noise on the line is up and down which could indicate a fault, also the error count is high at times so it's probably as well to have an engineer check the line as there does seem to be an underlying problem

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 46 of 96

It was the long extension cable from the master socket. He thought it was built into the house, so isn't all accessible. 

So I don't need an engineer for the low SNR?

As the router is at the extension socket, exactly as the engineer left it, we are therefore looking at why does it do these occasional few minutes disconnections?

I don't want to be told that the engineer coming on 12th October was unnecessary and then I get charged!

He won't be amused if it's the router that has developed a fault and so that's why I was wondering about it.

Is the engineer visit essential?

Occasional disconnections can be a nuisance and cause speeds to dip, but I was told the reason an engineer was required was low SNR.

If that's not the case, please clarify, @Chris-TalkTalk.

If the engineer is not essential, I will limp along to the end of my contract with Talktalk as is, and then get the whole thing changed with a different firm to put in Full Fibre, but that's going to be a long time coming....so it will be a lot of limping!

0 Likes

Message 47 of 96

The target SNR set by the profile is 3db and it's not dropping below that so in that sense it's not too low.

Do you connect the PC upstairs on a long Ethernet cable or a long telephone extension cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 48 of 96

I teach on my smartphone, @Chris-TalkTalk, partly because it's easier to find exactly the correct angle for teaching from to show most of the length and width of a cello.

I have not been able to move the computer downstairs yet, so it's not been used for months, as I need to work out where on earth it (plus monitor, speakers and printer) will fit in an already tight space....

Perhaps if the engineer finds a problem outside, I'll be able to reattach the flex going upstairs and just use my equipment up there again?

The previous engineer said not to use that wiring to upstairs as the dropouts might be due to that, but couldn't prove anything.....

Anyway, you think that SNR is too low  and that can cause problems, so we still need the engineer to check that out?

I think you were happy with the SNR in June after we got the engineer along then, so this could be a new development?

0 Likes

Message 49 of 96

Morning Gliwmaeden2,

Yes your router has the latest firmware.

The SNR is fluctuating between around 3.5db to 4.5db

Does the device that your using for skype connect to the router by wifi or Ethernet cable as wifi congestion looks to be an issue in your local area?

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 50 of 96

@Debbie-TalkTalk, is it possible to check that my router is on the very latest software version? Just that someone else has mentioned that, for the Huawei, the older versions sometimes drop out.

And are you still seeing low SNR?

The graph of speed results is looking better again,  but of course it didn't look that bad when you were worried about low SNR.

I am getting a dreadful 5 second lag when I teach over Skype - discrepancy between the aural and visual delivery,  but I have no idea if that's caused by their software or yours!

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 96

OK .... hope the text person doesn't just think I am being rude. It seems to be a real human being on the end of that mobile number, not a bot!

I'll take your word for it, @Chris-TalkTalk! 😊

0 Likes

Message 52 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Apologies for any confusion. I've checked the appointment on the Openreach portal and as Debbie has said,  it's definitely showing booked for the 12th. I've copied this directly from the Openreach portal fault ticket - AppointmentDate AppointmentTimeslot12/Oct/2022 - AM

If you receive any further text messages from TalkTalk advising the appointment is booked for 4th please just ignore them, it's what's showing on the Openreach portal that's important

Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 53 of 96

These are texts Talktalk is sending. 

I didn't contact them in the first place. 

They are getting in touch with me and expect replies. 

What you say and what they say have not tallied. 

Their latest:

20220929_133207.jpg

We'll see what they say.

But it is preposterous that your systems are not all updated at the same time. 

0 Likes

Message 54 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

Are you contacting our Customer Service Team?

I have explained previously why I provisionally booked the appointment and I have since changed the date. I have also re checked the appointment today in Openreach system.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 55 of 96

@Debbie-TalkTalk,

Why is this happening? That 4th October should never have been booked in the first place after giving my instructions. 

Very upset.

Screenshot_20220929-130902_Messages.jpg

😪🤨😪🤨😪

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 96

Somebody that formats the software needs to change things to stop alarming people with messages that no longer apply.

Maybe it will take another day for their message confirming 12th Oct to come through?

Just noticed that an email came through too, asking me to phone to cancel. "We're doing everything we can to get to you.....thanks for bearing with us." I think I will give up on waiting for them to answer and just assume that texting NO was enough.

Particularly as I hadn't set up the 4th in the first place, I am not going to give it any more of my time.

Taking it on trust that this is sorted and Talktalk will just have to write off any charges for engineers that turn up on the wrong day....

0 Likes

Message 57 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

Apologies you have received this message.

I can assure you that the engineer visit is showing booked for 12/10 in Openreach's system.

This is the system that sends the engineer so this shows the correct date.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 96

I am sorry to say that I was absolutely right not to trust your booking systems, @Debbie-TalkTalk.

In fact I am very angry!

This has come through this morning.

The system is not fit for purpose.

20220929_095906.jpg

Please sort this out once and for all!

At least the evidence is posted above for all the world to see that I have replied that it is NOT OK.

No acknowledgement from their system. 

No sign of them confirming 12th October instead. 

0 Likes

Message 59 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

I've checked and the appointment is showing as amended for 12/10, this is on our systems and Openreach's system.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 96

Phew, @Debbie-TalkTalk!

I'll put morning of the 12th in the diary. 

I was just rather alarmed at an appointment being put in at all for a different day of the week, as I thought I really had made it clear that nothing other than Wednesdays could work.

It was the case that last time we cancelled by every means available, an engineer nevertheless turned up - I  hope the same doesn't happen on the 4th, and all systems have truly been updated!

0 Likes