cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE SPEED AND NO RESOLUTION

Emmas2014
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 39

Our internet speed is beyond ridiculous making working from home or watching the tv virtually impossible.

Having spent a frustrating today trying to get someone to do something this is still not resolved.  I got cut off from chat several times due to a poor connection (wonder why that could be) and when I was reconnected the whole process had to be started again.  I also had to undertake several diagnostic tests one of which involved a screw driver. Maybe I should get a job at Talk Talk as I  have spent the best part of the day as an extension of your technical team. This might be a good option having been unable to perform my own job today.  The end result was we've done everything we can it must be your devices. Apparently this is supposed to be an acceptable response. For the avoidance of doubt it is not. 

I have been trying to change the Wi-Fi channels but the speed is so slow that I cant even do that!

I am no longer paying for this sh*t service and will be cancelling this months Direct Debit. No doubt TT will get a message to me about the payment at the speed of sound!

38 REPLIES 38

Message 21 of 39

Did you switch of the wifi on the laptop when you did this? It should just pick up a connection and ip address instantly.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 39

Hi Emmas2014

I have ordered you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Message 23 of 39

Plugging the ethernet cable (which I assume is the yellow cable that goes into the back of the router) into my laptop resulted in no internet being detected at all. 

0 Likes

Message 24 of 39

Hi Emmas2014

Ok, can you try running a speed test wired by connecting a ethernet cable to a laptop or computer?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 39

Given that it is not an old router is this really likely to be the cause of the problem? You can send a new router, but when will it arrive? I am trying to work from home and this current situation is untenable. What other options are there?

0 Likes

dibdab
Participant
Private Message
Message 26 of 39

Do you have a computer? plug the Ethernet cable into it and run a speedtest. It's also easier to access the router over ethernet than wireless.

Message 27 of 39

Hi Emmas2014

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing first?

0 Likes

Message 28 of 39

How would wired tests be performed?

0 Likes

Message 29 of 39

I do not have an alternative router and this one is not that old as we had a new one when we had this issue before. 

0 Likes

Message 30 of 39

Hi,

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 31 of 39

You run some wired tests, but I expect this will be the same result as yesterday. 

0 Likes

Message 32 of 39

I don't know I haven't tried an ethernet cable and I don't know where there is one. I spent most of the day yesterday carrying out tests and am not minded to do the same today having wasted most of my working day

0 Likes

Message 33 of 39

Hi,

Would it be possible to run a few wired speed tests please just so we can confirm if this is related to the wireless as we can then offer more assistance?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 39

Current speed is 11.7. It fluctuates throughout the day, but this is not acceptable. We had an issue about 3 weeks ago where there was a problem at the exchange and we had no Wi-Fi all day then since then we have not had the same performance. So if TT cannot find a fault what it the next step? I am now monitoring speeds through out the day and have photo's of all of them which I will be recording for 30 days to support my right to cancel. 

0 Likes

Message 35 of 39

Hi,

Can I just confirm, are the speeds also slow if you run a few wired speed tests? I'm just trying to confirm if it is solely the wireless so we can look into this further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Emmas2014
Team Player
Private Message
Message 36 of 39

The reason why I was unable to change the channels was because I could not connect to the page as the speed is so slow. In the end we had to turn the TV off so that I could get on to the internet to do it. I have now made the change but it has made no difference. Internet speed was as low as 1.6mb last night, might as well bring back dial up. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 37 of 39

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Can I just confirm, what speeds are you currently seeing if you run a speed test? Are the speeds also slow if you connect wired? What speeds were you previously receiving before the speed dropped?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 38 of 39

Hi @Emmas2014,

I would not recommend cancelling your direct debit, that will just cause all sort of issues, and could end up causing you far more hassle.

It is quite common to ask customers to try the test socket to eliminate the possibility of the phone wiring in your home being the cause of the issue. I'm assuming that is what you needed the screw driver for (to take the faceplate off the master phone socket).

Your comment about not being able to change the Wi-Fi channels is interesting, were you trying to do that from a device that was connected to the router via Ethernet or via Wi-Fi. If it was a Wi-Fi device then that may well be an indication that you are indeed suffering from Wi-Fi interference.

The TalkTalk Support Team on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes