cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Tplink (or similar) to hide away hub devices

keithg1952
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

My current Talktalk hub is at the back of our hallway under a sideboard and various hubs including Hive heating and Yale alarm are connected into it. Unfortunately a garden contractor has severed our phone line and Openreach need to run a new cable under our front lawn and then into our lounge. From a brief conversation with the very helpful engineer it sounds like they can only route to any easy place without messy visible cabling. I want to minimise the clutter of devices in the lounge if I mirror the current plethora of cables and devices. Am I right that I could use Tplink product or similar so that only the router is visible in its likely new location in the lounge and I can leave the other hubs where they are via TPlink connectivity?

Fingers crossed....

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 1 of 4

You may be right @nophead, I'm no expert on exactly how they work internally, but I'm sure I've read that some of the newer MIMO type devices use all three wires for data, but anyway, I've edited my post to clarify.

0 Likes

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

I don't think powerline adaptors put the signal on the earth as it would trip earth leakage breakers. They put a differential signal on live and neutral.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi @keithg1952,

You could have a TPLink (or similar) powerline adaptor right next to (and physically wired to) the router, this would then take your broadband signal onto the wires of your mains electrical sockets. You can then have additional powerline adaptors plugged into any other mains power sockets in your home that are on the same mains circuit, and those additional adaptors will then be able to provide a broadband signal (either via a wired ethernet port on the adaptor, of via Wi-Fi, or both, depending on the powerline adaptor model that you buy).

See image here as an illustration of the setup : https://powerlineadapters.co.uk/what-is-a-powerline-adapter

0 Likes