cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Two Xbox Consoles in One Household - Open NAT!

SteveyMc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I have just received a 2nd Xbox One to add to my home network and wondered if and how it is possible to achieve an Open NAT on both consoles? I have previously had Port Forwarding set up and working correctly for the 1st console. However as I understand it's a 1 to 1 service I can't configure one external port to two separate internal hosts. So therefore I have disabled  port forwarding and enabled UPnP but only one console has Open NAT and the other Moderate. I understand this is a slightly more technical request asking if it can be achieved, so any insight will be gratefully appreciated? I am using the FAST 5364 Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub. Kind regards, Steven.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Thanks @KeithFrench 🙂

@SteveyMc I'm glad to hear that this is now working ok.

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

You are very welcome, glad I could help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

SteveyMc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 6

@KeithFrench BINGO !! 👍👏 Open NAT on both consoles. After following your help I looked in the Xbox One Network Advanced Settings Menu there is an option called 'Alternate Port Selection' which provides 5 ports in a drop down list you can use to connect to Xbox Live. I selected one and added it as a port forward rule in the router to the host address of the second console and hey presto! Very much appreciated for your time and knowledge in further education my own. Kindest regards, Steve.

Message 4 of 6

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation @KeithFrench. After reading your last paragraph a few times I'll add the rules I need and give it a try. Kindest regards, Steven. 😊

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

Yes port forwarding is a 1 to 1 arrangement. UPnP is just a way to configure temporary port forwarding rules, albeit in a highly insecure manner that threatens your whole network. I would never advise using UPnP at all.

Either way will not work, as the External port remains the same. When a connection request comes into the router, it will either block one of the rules & send everything to the other console, or you have no idea which one it will go to if you get both enabled.

What you need to do & this is dependant on how much control you have over the destination port used for the inbound connection from the internet. Anyway, create one PF rule for the original external port as you did before pointing to one console. Then create a second rule, use a different external port, but mapped in the rule to the same internal port as the first rule. Point this to the second console. Then you have to make the incoming connection from the internet for the second console use this new port number.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?