cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Unable to give Notice of Termination

CECHA00
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

I'm having trouble trying to cancel my broadband service and feel as though it's deliberately making it as difficult as possible for me to leave.

Normally I would not bother contacting my ISP to leave but in this case I just want the line to become inactive as opposed to switching to a different provider. The reason being the property I live at does not need a broadband connection after becoming redundant (using 5G instead).

I have been in a couple of live chats. The agents say they are unable to cancel my service online and advise that I call up via telephone instead.

However recently my mobile phone developed a fault with its microphone which means I cannot take calls, so this is not an option to communicate.

I emailed the Complaints department, they got back to me and acknowledged the issue with my mobile phone being unable to call, however annoyingly suggested I use live chat again to 'find a resolution'. After doing some digging, the agents are not authorised to cancel services which makes communication with them pointless. Now we're back at square one.

I do not need further persuading to keep a broadband service that is no longer used in my property. Amusingly one of the agents asked if I wanted to 'transfer ownership of my account' to a friend/family (I pointed out I live alone) and they insisted I should. Why would someone who doesn't live with me want to pay a bill I don't even want in the first place?!? Such a farce.

Please, just let me give my intent to cancel the service (30 days) and we can both move on.
I just want the service to be cancelled.
Heck, I'm an ex Shell Energy customer who was forcefully shifted to Talktalk which makes it all the more irritating.

I have returned in the past to previous ISPs, but I am getting a very bad taste with Talktalk to never consider returning which is not good for either of us.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 10

A landline phone will work. A mobile is not mandatory.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

@CECHA00,

Vulnerable customers are given particular help which you can read about if you plug "accessibility" into the forum search engine. 

You can leave by sending the letter in writing if you do not wish to phone.

A certificate of posting would prove the date of posting:

20240705_043615.jpg

Please refer to the Ts&Cs which are detailed at the foot of any TT page. 

You didn't actually post this topic in a part of the forum where staff could help you with this - the Broadband section is for support with technical problems, disconnections, slow speeds and the like.

I'll move this to the billing section for you. If it's not picked up today, Friday, it will be after the weekend. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

CECHA00
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

I get the people responding to this thread are only community helpers and do not carry authority to actually cancel my contract as desired like Talktalk staff members. The customer service is known to be sub-par so it makes sense volunteers try make up the shortfall for free.

Yes I am not happy with your responses. A mobile phone should not be mandatory, ever. What about deaf people? It simply is unnecessary.

We can argue it to our heart's content, I think switching to a different provider is a rationale response just to cancel within the cooling period (within 14 days). You may disagree but please take into consideration everything that was mentioned in this thread and the exact context.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 10

my only assumption was that your contract has ended. I should point out that you existing contract term with Shell transfers, and if you are within your existing contract then an exit fee will most probably apply.

TalkTalk as a company, have processes in place for cancellation. Your faulty microphone is not their issue, it's yours.

Borrowing or getting access to a phone is therefore your only option of giving notice.

Your solution to the problem may also require you to phone a new ISP, so you will be back in the same position, and be in an 18 or 24 month contract, if you can't cancel with them in good time because of a faulty microphone.

Good luck with whatever route you take, but as @Gliwmaeden2 has said, we are customers like you trying to give you best advice. Sorry our advice doesn't match your perception of how things should work.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 5 of 10

Neither of the replies you have had was copied and pasted and both community stars are simply fellow customers trying to help you in our spare time.

I am sure that we both read your posts carefully, @CECHA00, and the information we have given you is accurate whether or not you are an ex Shell customer  

I have raised a query with staff as to why the agent was encouraging a couple of customers recently to simply transfer ownership of the account rather than using proper cancellation processes. 

The leaving process for you should be no different from any other Talktalk customer. 

0 Likes

CECHA00
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 10

As expected, copy paste identical answers that do not bother to look at the context of my situation and give pointless 'advice'.

I have decided I will switch to another supplier so they can do force Talktalk to let me leave then pay an early exit fee with my new contract so I can end up with no line.

Thanks a lot Talktalk. I won't be coming back. Shame on you for making me resort to such a drastic measure. And I will be telling my friends and family of my woeful experience so they don't have to go through a similar experience in the future.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

As advised, you cannot cancel via the forum or by email. 

Only use the authorised channels, and Chat is not best for this due to the problems picking up a callback. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

If you can borrow a landline handset and just plug it in to make the call on 03451 720088, that would definitely be the quickest way. The call is free of charge when made from a Talktalk landline number. 

Message 8 of 10

Sending a letter is also pointless because they still need to call to 'confirm' it anyway. Also, why should I go to the lengths of paying recorded delivery over something I can simply email over? That's just silly.

The fact they accept old fashioned postal letter but not email as confirmation is ridiculous.

I am starting to think this whole leaving process is designed to be as awkward and bothersome as can be. Makes no sense at all.

It's quite clear now the only reason why I 'must' call them up is to go through the sales pitch rigmarole (as I've started several times I don't NEED a service AT ALL) and imposed bureaucracy to infuriate me into staying.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Unfortunately you cannot give notice via the forum.

The only way to give notice is to speak to the loyalty team.

Even if you go through Chat they have to arrange a call back so you need access to a working phone.

Its quicker to call the Loyalty team yourself.

Try phoning 0345 172 0088

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529#

As an alternative you can give notice by post. Do it by recorded delivery.

Check the terms and conditions at the foot of each webpage for the address.

0 Likes