cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WIFI EXTENDER NOT WORKING PROPERLY

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

I have a Wi-Fi extender in one of the bedrooms in our house, however all the lights are on, both parts of the extender! , but the internet doesn't work upstairs. It is also plugged into the talk talk tv box I have but says its not connected!

I have tried all the troubleshooting options and repaired it, but still nothing. 

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

Quite probably, but you will need an app to do it. Have a look at this:-

https://support.ask4.com/help-support/iphone-ping-tests/ 

To save a bit more time, please can you also turn on the TV box, press the Blue YouView button on the remote & up arrow to go into Settings. Navigate to the broadband connection section & tell me what values it gives you for these parameters:-

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
Primary & Secondary DNS

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench  is there a way I can do it on an iPhone? Or does it need to be a pc?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

Thanks for that, was that all of the display or was there anything else further down the screen. This is showing the TalkTalk TV box (huaweistb) as connected to the router, which is the main thing, but the extender is not shown, which is surprising.

From one of your devices can you ping the address of the TV box 192.168.1.15. To do this from a Windows PC, type cmd in the search box & this will give you the command prompt. In there type:-

ping 192.168.1.15

followed by the Enter key. When it has finished, it will return to the same prompt that you had prior to entering this command. Please send me the output.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench 

Sorry for the delay! 
this is a pic of the thing you told me to go on, not sure which is the extender 

D9A76D37-D8D8-4D9C-BAE3-0D629E0491EB.png

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

Yes with everything connected, please. I am trying to see if the router thinks that the extender is connected to itself & then if the TV box is connected. It should help me to break down the problem & see where the issue is.

Keith

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench 

thank you!

Should I do this whilst the Extender is plugged into my talk talk tv box? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

You are not a pain at all. Please can you do this ideally from your browser on a PC.

Keith

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench 

sorry for being a pain!!

I understand to log in to my router account, but what device do I need to do this on? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 19

No, you are trying to log into your DG8041W router. As I said you will first have to look at the label at the rear of it to find the router password, behind the pull up plastic panel:-

Router password.png

Keith

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench 

What am I logging in to? My talk talk account or something else? 

How do i log in to the router?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

No problem, thanks for that. You can view the device listing on the DG8041W by logging into it (via 192.168.1.1 with a username of admin and the router  - not wireless password on the label on the rear). Then go to:-

Dashboard > Manage My Devices

There should be an entry there for the extender & another for the TT TV box. Obviously identifying them may be a challenge, perhaps it would be easiest if you PM me with a screenshot of them. If you want to customise the device name & icon used, you can do this by going to:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > System Info > User Device Information

Tick the device you wish to alter & click the Details button.

Keith

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 19

Hi @KeithFrench 

sorry Just getting a bit muddle. my main router is a Huawei DG8041W. does this help?

in the electrical consumer unit there is one circuit breaker/fuse for downstairs and a different one for upstairs.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

No, I know you have that extender, I need to find out the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using, then I can tell how to check in its device listing to see if the TV box appears there.

In your main electrical consumer unit do you have one circuit breaker/fuse for downstairs & another for the upstairs power sockets or is there only one power circuit breaker/fuse for the whole property?

Keith

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 19

Hi Keith,

yes it is connected to the tv box through a cable.

the extender box is TalkTalk WiFi Extender kit - DHP-W610AV

or do you need the make of another device? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 19

Hi @nicole-2021 

Thanks for the info.

I assume that you are connecting the TT box via an Ethernet cable to the extender? Not knowing what make/model of router that you have you can look in the device listing of it to see if the TV box is displayed there (if you tell me which router, I can be more precise where to find the listing).

Keith

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Morning,

Have you also tried all the steps in the below Help Guide?

Fix a problem with your Wi-Fi Extender Kit

Thanks

0 Likes

nicole-2021
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Hi, yes that is the make of the model and it is plugged in to a multi room tv box, all devices ie phones and tablets are connected to the main router I think and work fine downstairs 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

Is this the TalkTalk WiFi Extender kit - DHP-W610AV, if not, please can you give me the make/model number of it?

What devices do you have connected to the extender unit?

Keith

0 Likes