cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi settings keep changing

aidangardham
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi, I've been having trouble with devices dropping off the wifi regularly over the past 2 weeks or so.
I've found that the settings on the Wifi page  - e.g. Channel Selection & bandwidth keep changing away from what I choose. They revert to Channel 36 & 80MHz which is causing me big issues.

Is this a fault with the modem ? It's a FAST5364 3.00 & I think it's software may have updated recently to SG4K100136.

Thanks,

Aidan

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi aidangardham,

Glad to hear it's been OK. I think for the vast majority of people it works fine and improves wifi connectivity but it some cases it doesn't seem to work as well unfortunately. 

Chris

0 Likes

aidangardham
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 11

After 3 days, I've not had a single issue since switching off the Wifi optimisation.

For the record, it was the bandwidth setting (in Wifi 5GHz / Advanced) which did it & the optimisation did stop that from reverting.

So I can join what must be a large number of people that officially hate Wifi Optimisation & consider it a bug, not a feature.

Thanks again for your quick help Chris.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11
0 Likes

aidangardham
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

Thanks Chris.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

OK, it's disabled now. You can now manually change channels

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

It's not that new, it's been around a while. I'll disable it now and get back to you when it's done

Chris

0 Likes

aidangardham
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

Yes please Chris.

Is it a new feature ?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Wifi optimisation automatically changes to the best channel but if you are experiencing problem we can disable it for you. You can then manually set your own channel. Would you like me to disable it?

Chris

0 Likes

aidangardham
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi. I haven't heard of Wifi optimisation before, does it override the settings on the webpage ?
Will it keep the bandwidth setting stable as well ?

If so, it sounds like I need it disabling. How do I do that ?

Aidan

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi Aidan,

We could try disabling wifi optimisation, this will stop the router automatically changing channels and will allow you to set your own channel. Do you want to give this a try?

Chris

0 Likes