cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

i have unautherised mac adresses connecting to my net work, router HG633

Dyersy
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

i have unauthorized mac address connecting to my net work, To be honest it is causing me distress they could be using my network for illegal purposes and i,m finding it impossible to contact talktalk about it, my router is a  HG633 and i believe it does not support a blacklist mac function. could someone suggest how i deal with this ?.

can i also get the data that they are using my router for?

should i just get rid of talktalk and get virgin or bt

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 20

@Skynet_TX  and @KeithFrench  just for info, I have been delving into the WiFi settings menu for my Realme 8 5G Android 11 phone and I have the option to select either a random or the device MAC address.

The settings are separate for each band as I have split the SSIDs.

Message 2 of 20

thanks for your offer, but since i reported what was happening to the police, my mind is at ease. so i,m no longer worried about it.

thanks again   martin

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi

It's ok. In these times of scammers and so many nasty things on the internet it's normal to worry when you see something you don't recognize showing up in your connection.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Listen guys i,m here to apologize to each and every one you who tried to help me, i still don't know who or what was connecting to my network but i no longer care about, in reading my posts i have over reacted and i,m sorry about that...I AM TRULY SORRY.

Message 5 of 20

Listen guys i,m here to apologize to each and every one you who tried to help me, i still dont know who or what was connecting to my network but i no longer care about, in reading my posts i have over reacted and i,m sorry about that...I AM TRULY SORRY.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 20

The best thing is to change your wireless password to something more secure.

If you want to give me a list of these MAC addresses I will be able to tell you their manufacturers.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 20

@Skynet_TX , you have hit a possible nail on the head.

My ANDROID phone, realme-8-5G in the devices table below gets a different IP address on each WiFi band along with showing a different MAC address.

Screenshot 2022-01-20 065821.jpg

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 20

Are you sure the phones are not using a randomised MAC, or maybe a device that normally connects on the 2.4GHz band with one MAC connected using 5GHz and therefore on a different MAC ?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227 lists reasons why the MAC might change for an iPhone even when it is connecting to the same Wi-Fi network.

Message 9 of 20

I use netwatcher it dings on a new conection plus i can see it inside the router login to monitor it, i have items named, 2 cameras, 2 iPhone 1 laptop 1 tv box  2 wireless links for tv box so i dont have a cable running round the house. last connecting from the ghost connection was last night at 7:15pm, none today.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 20

Have you read message 2 on this thread, which came from one of the TalkTalk support team?

Message 11 of 20

friend i really appreciate your concern , i really do. but bad customer service is bad customer service full stop, ive mentioned before and ill say it again. it is and was causing me distress. but it will be over soon because BT cant install for 3 weeks so ill stick it until then. i didn't know you had to fix things yourself, talktalk could have looked into it but instead ive to get members of the public to help me. you didn't take money from my bank every month talktalk did for years but no more. in fact when i speak to my solicitor i,m going to go after talk talk for compensation for the distress it has caused me i actually used one of my holidays of work today but i,m no further on. i,m waiting on talktalk to climb up the pole outside to fix it myself and believe me.  PLEASE LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ANYONE ELSE THINKING OF TAKING ANY TALKTALK SERVICE............MY ADVICE WOULD BE "DONT"

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 20

@Dyersy  if you had reset your router to factory default and then followed my suggestions in post #6 along with @Skynet_TX 's advice to see if the mystery device was still listed and had an active connection, your concerns may have been genuine.

I think you have let your paranoia get the better of you.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 20

Also, does it actually indicate that the device is actively connected at the moment, or is it just a device that has been connected at some point in the past. I've not used my HG633 for a long time, but I seem to remember that when it was new it had a couple of devices listed as having connected in the past, I'd always just assumed it was devices that had been connected to the router back 'at base', or possibly it wasn't a brand new router and had been used before.

But those devices were never 'active' when I had the router, they were just devices that had connected to it before I even owned the router.

Message 14 of 20

friend  you don't know what Ive done so how can you say that, and not only am i leaving so are my two daughters and one of my sons, and i,m hoping my other son does too. Ive been with talk talk for years and the first problem ive had and customer service doesn't exist! Ive to rely on members of the public to try and sort it?  i,m hearing  good things about BT

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 20

As you haven't even taken the basic steps to identify the device, moving ISPs is a total overreaction.

You could have renamed your WiFi SSIDs and changed passwords and if you had really been hacked it would have taken the intruder a considerable time to get back in.

In all the years I have been on this forum, nobody has conclusively proved a router has been hacked and mystery devices have always been something forgotten such as an extender, extra SKY box or CCTV recorder etc.

@KeithFrench is a community WiFi expert and may have a helpful opinion.

Message 16 of 20

the option does not exist just in case you "think" it does for someone else with the same problem

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

thank you for your time, ive give up friend. i reported this afternoon to police and  i m changing supplier because of lack of response from taltalk

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 20

@Dyersy much more likely is that it is actually a device you have forgotten about.

Change both the admin login and WiFi passwords.

If someone really has hacked your WiFi then changing ISPs won't make any difference if they really want to do so again.

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi

If you look under Advanced then Firewall in the router settings I think there is a mac filtering option.

You can also look up the mac on the internet, there are various websites to help identify the type of device or manufacturer.  I had one recently with a device made in China, took a while to figure out it was a smart watch I had connected.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes