cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 157 of 157

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
156 REPLIES 156

Message 21 of 157

Hi Michelle

I just checked and nothing has changed. Always the same message.

I received a new cable and checked the speed as well as through the test socket. No changes. The same results on the new and old cable - about 27 Mbps. So there were problems with breakdowns outside my house all the time.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 22 of 157

Hi Les,

Has there been any change with the speed tester since my last post please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 23 of 157

Hello,

Thank you. I've passed this over to our My Connection Team now. I will post back as soon as I receive an update from the team.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 24 of 157

Lesman_0-1708692899285.png

Effect after pressing the speed checking window. It's been showing for about a week.

Les

0 Likes

Message 25 of 157

Hi Les,

Ok thanks for confirming. Are you running the speed test via My Connection in My Account? Would it be possible to post a screenshot but remove any personal information please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 26 of 157

Hi Michelle

The speed stopped at about 27 Mbps and does not increase. I didn't receive the new cable yesterday, maybe today. Once I replace it, I'll let you know if anything has changed. For about a week, I have not been able to check the internet speed on the TalkTalk website through my account. What happened?

Regards.

Les

0 Likes

Message 27 of 157

Hi Les,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 28 of 157
0 Likes

Message 29 of 157
Due to a power outage during the night, the router has now been turned on. The speed is about 27 Mbps and it is on a long cable. I'm supposed to receive a new cable on Thursday. After replacing it, I will tell you what the effect is.
Les

0 Likes

Message 30 of 157

Hi Les,

Is the router now connected with the extension cable? How is the connection at the moment?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 31 of 157

OK, thanks for that. Let's see what the support team advise further. 

0 Likes

Lesman
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 157

I only have a cordless phone, but when I plug it into the test jack the signal is clear. There are no noises or hisses. Internet problems always started with interruptions in the Internet connection and then the speed dropped.

Les

0 Likes

Message 33 of 157

You can probably move the router back upstairs now. Suitable cables of varying lengths can be found easily and cheaply on a well-known website. But I think the fact that there still seems to be an underlying issue possibly needs further investigation. If you connect a single, preferably corded phone directly at the test socket, with no microfilter, is there any sign of noise e.g. crackling, or hissing on the line? 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 157

Can I move the router upstairs now? Can you sell me a 7 meter long connection cable?

Les

0 Likes

Message 35 of 157

The computer shows me a speed of 28.6 Mbps. So my cable is good and does not cause interference?

Les

0 Likes

Message 36 of 157

Line test is still picking up a potential issue, sync speed is 28.7Mbps, what are throughput speeds like at the moment?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 37 of 157

OK, I'll run the test now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 38 of 157

Currently, the router is connected to the filter and test socket with your cable. You can take a test. Tell me when you finish it.

Les

0 Likes

Message 39 of 157

If the router is connected with your cable, it will have to be placed on the stairs or in the corridor and will be susceptible to damage. Temporarily, for the trial period, I will connect it with your cable. I will tell you when you can take the test.

Les

0 Likes

Message 40 of 157

Is there no way that you can connect the router to test socket using the cable provided with the router? Does the router have to be upstairs?

Chris

0 Likes