cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 157 of 157

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
156 REPLIES 156

Message 41 of 157

This cable is a longer version of the ADSL cable with two RJ11 plugs. I have been using this cable for about 10 years and have had no problems. Speeds reached up to 33 Mbps. I have currently ordered a new 7-meter cable. I need this cable length.

Les

0 Likes

Message 42 of 157

Is the cable that you are using to connect the router to the test socket just a longer version of the ADSL cable provided with the router, or is it a telephone extension cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 43 of 157

Hi Michelle

The router is constantly connected to the test socket through a filter. Yesterday evening I measured the speed - about 25 Mbps. I did a line test yesterday and received an error message on the line. I did not change the cable because the socket is at the entrance door and the router is on the first floor and the cable I received was too short.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 44 of 157

Hi Les,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test now which has detected the same fault. Can I just confirm, did you also swap the cables and microfilter? Is the router also connected to the test socket at the moment please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 45 of 157

Hi Michelle

Today I received the router and filter. Thank you. Currently, the router is connected through a filter to the test socket. It will remain on until I receive information from you that the test is completed. After connecting, I measured the speed - about 30 Mbps.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 46 of 157

Hi Les,

The replacement router is on the way. Please let us know once this arrives and is connected to the test socket via the microfilter and we can re-run the line test again in this set up.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 47 of 157

Ok. Please do what you think is necessary to finally fix it. My socket has a filter inside, I connect the cable without a filter directly to the socket.

Les

0 Likes

Message 48 of 157

HI Les

The line test today did show a fault towards the property. I think we should send a new router and filter so this can be connected at the test socket,

We can then run another line test and this will also rule out the router and faceplate at the same time.

0 Likes

Message 49 of 157

On February 12, I did a line test and a problem was found on the line. I still get a message about an open report and observation of the line, but nothing changes.

Les

0 Likes

Message 50 of 157

There is such a socket - the engineer connects it when it arrives, but a different plug is needed than the one on my cable. I can only connect my cable to the socket for normal operation.

Les

0 Likes

Message 51 of 157

Hi Les

Just to confirm, you can't connect to the test socket because you don't have one or because it's inaccessible?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 52 of 157
The router is connected normally. In my socket, I cannot connect to the test socket.
Les

0 Likes

Message 53 of 157

Hi Les,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which has detected a potential fault towards the property. Can I just confirm, is your router connected to the test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 54 of 157

Hi Chris

Happiness doesn't last long. Since yesterday, the speed has dropped to about 19 Mbps, today the internet stops, the speed is still about 19 Mbps, turning the router off and on does not change anything - this method will probably not solve the actual problems. Will it finally end and when? This is already annoying. This situation has been going on since April last year. Please help me finally solve it.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 55 of 157
0 Likes

Message 56 of 157

Understands. Thank you for your help.

Les

0 Likes

Message 57 of 157

Hi Les,

Glad to hear that there's been a speed improvement. If the speed does drop again it's always worth switching the router off for 30 minutes as this forces the start of a new session and often results in faster speeds

Chris

0 Likes

Message 58 of 157

After turning on the router, the speed increased to 30 Mbps. Thank you, very nice. Will it work like this all the time or should I repeat this operation in case of problems?

Les

0 Likes

Message 59 of 157

Thanks. Could you switch the router off and leave it off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and check to see if the speed has improved

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 60 of 157

Hi Chris

The phone regained signal. Works. Internet speed remains unchanged - 19 Mbps.

Les

0 Likes