cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 197 of 197

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
196 REPLIES 196

Message 1 of 197

Hi Les

This will be fine to use to return the old router.

Thank you 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 197

I only have a return bag in the box of the new router. I don't have it in the box of the old router.

Les

Message 3 of 197

Hi Les

I'm so glad to hear this and that the speed has increased 🙂

The engineer did work on the line externally, a joint on the underground cable.

Did you receive a returns bag for the old router?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 197

Hi Debbie

I have good news. My internet came back to life - after about two weeks, today the speed increased from about 9 Mbps to about 32 Mbps. I hope the internet problems are over.

No engineer contacted me or came to my house.

So the problem was outside my house.

The same situation occurred in previous failures.

What should I do with my old router?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Les

Message 5 of 197

Hi Les @Lesman 

Openreach have closed the fault as resolved -  In Joint AreaCable (Underground)

How's the connection been since last night?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 197

Hi Les,

Line test is picking up a potential problem so I've logged this out to Openreach as a non-appointed task. Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 197

Hi Debbie

Sorry I'm just replying, but I was away from home. Yes, I received the router today and connected it to the test socket through a filter. Internet speed increased from about 7.5 Mbps to about 9.5 Mbps. This means that the situation from previous failures is repeated. There were suspicions that the problem was at home, but in fact it was outside.

The router remains connected to the test socket at all times.

What should I do with my old router?

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 8 of 197
0 Likes

Message 9 of 197

Hi Les

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 197

Ok. Then please send me this router. I'll do this test.

Les

0 Likes

Message 11 of 197

Hi Les

If the fault is found to be with your own equipment or internal wiring then potential engineer charges can be applied.

This is why we offer to send a replacement router and suggest that it is connected at the test socket (to rule out any potential issues with the router or internal wiring)

0 Likes

Message 12 of 197
I'm at home in the afternoon (pm).
I don't understand the issue of payment for a visit, because if the installation at home is not touched, and I work with your original equipment that you sent me, do you think that the problem is at my home?
Please provide information about the date of the engineer's visit.
Les

0 Likes

Message 13 of 197

Hi Les

The only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Please can you provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Can you also confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 14 of 197

I only want one thing - for this to end and for the Internet to be stable.

The installation in the house is unchanged.

This constant plugging, checking, etc. becomes annoying and only helps for a few weeks.

Do what you think is right to end this horror.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 15 of 197

Hi Les

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear but I can see that the sync speed has dropped.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket, then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 197

Hi Debbie

For about two weeks, I have noticed the Internet speed decreasing from 28 Mbps to about 7 Mbps, which it reached on Sunday, June 30, and has been maintaining all this time.

When I try to check the connection, I receive information that the problem is open as of June 30. But to this day nothing has changed. Will there finally be a competent person who will fix it once and for all? This troubled comedy has been running for over a year, with several weeks between problems.

I am asking for help in repairing and ending this failure marathon.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 17 of 197

Hi Les

Thanks for your reply.

If you would like us to arrange an engineer visit then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 197

Yes, I understand that the minimum speed is maintained, but I know that this speed can be higher and the Internet will work more smoothly. I had periods when you delivered speeds of over 30 Mbps. So it is possible, realistic and basically corresponds to the offer of the package I am paying for.

Continuing to trace the line probably won't change anything.

If you think there is nothing more that can be done here, we close the topic.

If the problems reoccur, I will let you know.

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Les

0 Likes

Message 19 of 197

Hi Les

Your current speed is within the predicted range for your line. Minimum guaranteed speed is 18.4mb.

How would you like to proceed? Would you prefer to monitor for a little while longer to see how the connection is?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 197

I can't give you a definite answer because the internet speed was constantly changing. It ranged approximately from 32 to 16 Mbps. It wasn't as stable as it is now. This is the speed shown to me on the computer. I cannot check the speed to the router because the speed measurement on your website (via my account) has not been working for several days.

Les

0 Likes