Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email send problem

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Team Player

Find I cant send emails from email prog today, getting :

"server reports error. the response is: 5.1.0 4iWHNh4j2OnuQZ Authentication required (TT401)"

Not sure if it is receiving messages either.

Wondering if it is something to do with new TT email thing that I have been getting all the emails about.

Been reading stuff from OCEs at the beginning of this section and info elsewhere, think everything is set up OK but our email prog does not have an 'SSL' setting, only STARTTLS or TLS.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @fw190 

The error is that the email prog you're using is not using a sign in with the email address and authenticating that with a password and or not requesting authentication from the network to permit sending.  The email prog may be using an insecure unencrypted connection and for that it is absolutely necessary to request network authentication.

What's the bit of the email address after the @ symbol?

The email settings are Email settings - IMAP / POP3 

What's the email prog and version? For example, Outlook 2016 or Apple Mail or another and what device / computer Operating system are you running it on? For example Windows 10 or MacOs or another?

I may need you to take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings / advanced settings and to edit out the first part of the email address and then post those images here using the Photos icon above this Reply area.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

Email address ends @talktalk.net

It was working OK yesterday.

Using 'The Bat! 8.7' on Win 10 pro x64

I found some old email settings and they seem to be working with the same login details, imap.talktalk.net 143 STARTTLS.

The web mail woudn't be too bad if it didn't keep logging out all the time.

Wondering about just forwarding it and abandon the TT system.

Highlighted
Team Player

What I entered for end of email addy was remove for some reason, it is ampersand talktalk .net

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @fw190 

Your email account would appear to be set up using IMAP.

When creating a user account in The Bat the settings are:

• To access mail server, use protocol: IMAP4
  • Incoming mail server address: mail.talktalk.net
  • Secure connection: Tick
  • SMTP server address: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Secure connection: Tick
  • My SMTP server requires authentication: Tick
  • Username: (your full talktalk.net email address)
  • Password: (your normal email password)

Send mail:

• Connection: Secure to dedicated port (STARTTLS)
  • Port: 587

Receive mail:

• Connection: Secure to dedicated port (TLS)
  • Port: 993

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for that, it says it's connecting to server but there is no new mail in the bat's inbox  but there is mail in the web mail bit that has not been received here.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @fw190 

OK. It's possible that The Bat cannot immediately set up a secure connection for incoming email so change the incoming security option to STARTTLS. What should happen is that it will convert an insecure connection to secure and set up a download of the emails.

If that doesn't get the receive and send going then take and post screenshots of the settings for me in case something has been missed. Don't forget to image edit and obscure the first part of your email address to maintain your security.

Highlighted
Team Player

Seems odd, I received notification email of your post and a couple of other things but there are 3 recent emails showing on the webmail page that have never made it to the inbox here. Update, 2 have just arrived both showing times of around 08:00.

Thanks for all your help.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi fw190,

So does everything seem to be working OK now?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, Yes all seems OK thanks.

Been trying an old lineone account that I discovered TT took over and it still works.

Highlighted

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
First Timer

still not working when I send I get error 1101 comes up and 587 no such host is known

Highlighted

Hi busterboy, could you give us a little more to work with. What mail client are you using? What settings are you using? Does your email work if you log into webmail? 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.