cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Authentification Problems

Peterem1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

10 days ago my Tiscali email account started generating "Authentification Failed" errors in my EmClient setup. I had made no changes which could have caused it. It then refused to accept new mails. I was able to reset my password and things worked normally at first. This morning it failed again. Is there an alternative which can give a setup which  can avoid constant resets?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

The system resets the password if there are security vulnerabilities detected. Or someone is changing the password.

As a precaution, first scan your email devices to detect and remove any potential password capturing virus, trojan or other malware.  Then upgrade the password using an unique password of 12 - 15 multicase letters, numbers and a symbol.

Sign out of all devices that are connecting to the mailbox save for one device using just webmail and direct via your home broadband not via a VPN connection.

When you get access to webmail, once more, go via the Settings cog icon, All settings menu item and Mail in the left pane. Scroll down to Rules and delete all rules found. This is to ensure there's been no rules set up to spy on your mail messages.

Then via the left pane again select Security. Sign out of all devices save the one you're using and confirm. This is to positively lock out any unauthorised access.

Having carried out those security checks and got an unique new strong password I would have confidence that you can return to emClient to set that up exactly as I've given you the details for.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Peterem1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Webmail no longer accepts my password and neither does EmClient when I enter it manually. I'll have to reset it again and I'll get back to you.

Peter

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Check that the password you're using in emClient does work in TalkTalk Mail webmail. Confirm that you are sending mail from the TalkTalk Mail address, clear the Password boxes and enter the password manually.Retry.

Then please take and upload screenshots of the IMAP and SMTP tabs, image editing only to remove just the first part of the email address entered in the Username box.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi Gondola,

I tried the settings you gave and the "Authentication Failed" window reappeared immediately. My unsent replies are still stuck in the Outbox. Anything else I can try?

Peter

auth2.png
0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

The talktalk.net server host name should be used for all TalkTalk Mail domains including tiscali.co.uk so change the host names exactly as I've given you.

TT401 means the sending from email address must be authenticated with its full email address as the User name and the email Password.

0 Likes

Peterem1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

I'll try changing the port and security policy but won't mess with the Server Host unless you can confirm it applies to those of us with tiscali.co.uk email accounts. The existing imap.tiscali.co.uk seems ok at the moment.

Not getting "Authentication Failed" messages since I reset my password and receiving emails normally, but finding another authentication error when I try to send emails out by EmClient. Too much personal info to screenshot, but the core seems to be "5.1.0 w8PcqGyShtfZZ Authentication Required (TT401)" which appears in every case. Is it linked and what does it mean?

Peter

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

The IMAP server host should be: mail.talktalk.net

Port: 993

Security policy: Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

Authentication: Select Use these credentials

User name: Full Email address

Password: Email password

Screenshot the SMTP settings if you wish me to check those for you.

Peterem1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi Gondola,

The "Authentication Failed" message is only on EmClient. If I try to login to TalkTalk directly, it does not accept my password - even though it did the previous day and I had not changed it.  I will grab a screenshot if it all  appears a third time.

All my passwords meet the stated combinations of case, numbers and symbols.

I have sent a screenshot of my EmClient account setup in case it helps

All the best, Peter

account.png
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Does webmail work normally? i.e. the Authentication error is only seen in emClient?

Is the password multicase letters plus at least one number and one symbol?

Screenshot the settings you're using for the incoming and outgoing mail servers. Image edit to obscure the  first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.