cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Cannot send email

1Cherry1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I have a onetel email address:   xxxx@onetel.com

Onetel is part of TalkTalk.
I can no longer send emails via Thunderbird when connected to TalkTalk

Error:

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: VHbDpRJZgBkwp MailFrom must match AUTH used (TT421). Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again.

smtp.talktalk.net  port 587   StarTTLS

Identities also now fail since the new server settings.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

All TalkTalk domains including master addresses and their aliases will continue to be able to use secure mail via the secure TalkTalk servers.

TalkTalk has never offered the service of having its mail servers used by non-TalkTalk domains. But blocking port 25 is what many mail services do to prevent spam and unauthorised use of its servers.

Your personal domain can use the servers provided by your mail hosting service.

If your mum has a connection problem then report it to TalkTalk. Or if you are a nominated user then start a topic in the broadband forum and a TalkTalk Support team member will pick up and look into it for your mum.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

1Cherry1
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

In the past any emails could be sent if logged in to TalkTalk.

I used TalkTalk  servers for all outgoing mail. This included alias email addresses and other emails addresses.
If I had a website  xxx.com  I could send emails from post@xxx.com and others as identities in Thunderbird.
Initially all would be sent, and then one had to use a TalkTalk internet connection or be logged in. Now none are sent.

Surely, TalkTalk are not removing the ability to send emails from their service. This is  material change in features.

On another point. In my mum's house, internet does not work. 27 calls later no resolution.
Recontracted Fibre 65 on 5th Jan. Someone at TT downgraded to ASDL at a stonking £32 a month!
Today no internet. TT said you are on ADSL, upgrade to Fibre as the solution. Still does not work.
Then TT say Openreach rejected the ADSL. So there must have been Fibre all along.
Then they say the new Fibre will not be active until March 6th.
But there was Fibre 65 with TT for the past 20 months.

Each time TT the calls drop. TT do tests and disconnect the call and no resolution.
I am so annoyed with this.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

I'm saying you cannot send mail from your personal domain address using the TalkTalk mail servers. You may well have been used to doing so using the insecure mail settings and sending via port 25 but that stops right now.

Of course you can send mail securely from a Onetel email account using the TalkTalk mail servers.

I'll look at your attachment soon.

EDIT

OK, you've shown me the TalkTalk 2023 smtp server settings. OK so far, Don't forget that the TalkTalk 2023 smtp mail server must be linked to a specific email account because it's going to use the email address and password for authentication and the password must belong to the specific email account, for example, the TalkTalk email account set up in Thunderbird.

The onetel email account should have its own unique password and therefore its own smtp server authenticated with the onetel email address and password.

Your personal domain email address should have its own smtp server using the outgoing server settings supplied by your mail hosting service. i.e. you use their servers from now on not TalkTalk servers.

Message 4 of 6

See attachment.

Are you saying one cannot send any email out unless it is a talktalk.co.uk email?
This cannot be right as Onetel is part of TalkTalk.

Emails are sent if I use gmail SMTP servers.

Regards

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

I think the only way to get to the bottom of this is for you to screenshot the Thunderbird Server Settings and Outgoing SMTP server settings and I'll check they comply with the TalkTalk setup.

The error message TT421 means that you tried to send from an email address that's not the one the account is set up for. For example sending from your personal domain address but using the TalkTalk Mail servers. This might have worked in the past but no longer.