cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Configure DNS records for dsl.pipex.com

Bill73
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Good Morning, 
I have used SMTP2GO for years and like all things that work fine they have decided to change things:

"We're following up regarding a change we are making to our system that will impact your free account with us. To align ourselves with the rest of the email delivery industry, and to improve security, we are requiring that all emails sent through accounts are sent from a verified sender. This means you will need to login to your account and add any domain names (from which you send emails) to the following page:

Sending > Verified Senders > Sender domains

If you're unable to add sender domains, you can choose to add individual email addresses from the 'Sending > Verified Senders > Single sender email' page.

You'll need to add your sender domains within the next few days. The previous deadline of May 24 has been extended for 2 weeks to allow you to make the required changes.

Our free accounts have a limit of 5 verified senders, and we've checked your account and it has sent under this limit during the past 30 days (it has sent from a total of 1 unverified domains).

If you're unsure which of your sender email addresses are unverified, visit the 'Reports > Summary > By Sender Email' page in the App. Any sender email that is not currently verified will have an alert icon next to it.

If you are unsure, or if you have any questions, you are very welcome to contact our support team. If you don't make any changes, your emails will no longer be able to be delivered from unverified senders."

I have queried this with SMTP2GO support and have been told "You'll need to edit the DNS records for the domain 'dsl.pipex.com'. If you don't have access to the DNS records, you can pass along that screenshot to your hosting provider and they should be able to make the updates for you. "
My problem is that I have no clue how to access DNS records - can anyone help, or as suggested above, make the updates for me? I have attached a screen shot of what appears to be the information required but without the DNS page it all seems a bit difficult 🤔 

SMTP2GO 22_05_23.png
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

There's no reason for fully authenticated pipex mail not to pass through hotel wi-fi systems. The rider to this is that mail connections from overseas networks can get rate limited. The number of emails sent per day can be set quite low if the risk of spam is high.

So long as there aren't multiple concurrent connections to your pipex mailbox from different geographic locations then you could use a UK host VPN service to access the talktalk mail servers to send fully authenticated mail and that would be the equivalent of sending mail from within the UK and therefore not seen as a particular spam risk. 

Not so easy to use public computers securely when overseas but sending Gmail via local Gmail servers is an effective workaround to not having the security of a VPN connection back to the UK. 

It's good to know that SMTP2GO are upgrading to fully authenticated email. Unauthenticated mail is unlikely to be delivered to mail services or at best marked as spam. Mail from talktalk domains sent from talktalk mail servers is fully authenticated and verified by SPF and DKIM.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Bill73
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Gondola,

Thank you for the insight - it does make a bit more sense; and as I have neither a personal domain email, my  own mail server or a mail hosting service I shall ask SMTP2GO exactly what it is they expect me to do ! (The reason I use SMTP2GO is because quite a few Hotel wifi systems in the world won't allow Pipex emails through - maybe as I don't travel quite as much now I shall just let SMTP2GO drop.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

TalkTalk pipex domain emails are authenticated by sending from smtp.talktalk.net using port 587 and the STARTTLS command to invoke TLS1.2 connection security. Outgoing authentication is required with the User Name as the full pipex email address and Password as the pipex email address password.

TalkTalk DNS records will not be altered for third party use. 

The advice from SMTP2GO typically relates to personal domain email addresses and users that run their own mail servers. If you have a personal domain email and your own mail servers or a mail hosting service provider then you may have access to the mail hosting DNS servers to add the required records to authenticate the sending of your personal domain mail.  But pipex domain emails must be sent from TalkTalk servers only.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution