cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Gmail blocked

silvergirl
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

Further to my problem in January this year, once again I am having trouble with emails sent from my Gmail account to recipients with a TalkTalk address, including my own.

I seem to be able to send plain text sometimes (not always) but not photos. I found this out when I tried to email myself a photo from my phone, sending from my Gmail account to my TalkTalk account. It didn't get returned but I did not receive a "failed" message and it just did not arrive.

I subsequently realised that emails I had been sending to a contact of mine with a TalkTalk address, usually only text, had not been reaching that person.

I have tried using, but not getting any results from test-mail@talktalk.net

Can you please check if there is a block on my account and unblock it?

Silvergirl
0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

The TalkTalk 'test-mail' email mailbox is not intended for repetitive testing.

The set up is for an auto-response as a one-off reply using the Vacation notice function. The Vacation notice sends one reply to a given email address and then no more replies to the same email address until the default time out expires. This time out can be set for periods of 1 day to 31 days. So, if you've successfully sent a mail message and got a reply then you've proved your mailbox is working for both send and receive. Don't do any more 'tests'.

If you wish to test sending and receiving is working normally then compose and send yourself a message to the same mailbox. You can do this anytime and see your sent email in the Sent objects folder and the incoming message in the Inbox.

Senders of mail not deemed as spam would normally be notified if their mail is not delivered to your mailbox. If in doubt about expected mail not arriving do check in TalkTalk Mail webmail month by month that there's no wanted mail in the Spam folder and no auto-forward or other filter rules defined that may otherwise be redirecting mail intended for your Inbox.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

silvergirl
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 20

Hi Ady,

Today I seem to be able to send photos from my phone to TalkTalk but I thought I would try the test-mail@talktalk.net again. When sending it from TalkTalk it doesn't work and sending it from Gmail doesn't either. Using Yahoo, however, the response is immediate.

Obviously I don't need to keep doing these tests but how am I supposed to know if someone has sent me something that hasn't got through? I only know I have the problem when my own emails don't arrive in the account that I want them to. I could be missing emails from anyone and not know it and they would think I hadn't bothered to reply to them.

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Silvergirl, are you still having the problem?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

I spoke to soon again! Back to the same old problem. I want to send a photo from my phone to my PC via email. Sending it from Gmail to TalkTalk it never arrives and it doesn't show as not delivered either. Trying again from the phone, sending from TalkTalk to my Gmail account works fine, as does sending it to any other email. It is TalkTalk blocking Gmail photos. Why? And please can someone sort this out?

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

That's great, thanks.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know that normal emails are all fine again. The only one not working is the test email from my own TalkTalk account. If I send one from Gmail it is ok.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl

Message 7 of 20

Oh dear I may have written too soon! I have just tried test emails and they aren't getting through. Please leave this case open and I will let you know soon what is happening.

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

That's great news silvergirl, thanks for letting me know. (Don't think I had anything to do with it). Have a great weekend

Chris

Message 9 of 20

Hi Chris

As I hadn't heard anything I thought there must still be a problem but I just tried sending myself emails with photos and to my delight all seems to be working again. Did you have to do something to unblock it? If so, thank you very much. I just need to know in case it occurs again in the future.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Yes, no problem with sending from Gmail to anywhere except TalkTalk.

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 20

Thanks, yes I had a great weekend 🙂

If you send an email from the gmail account to the gmail account, on the same device, does that arrive OK?

Chris

0 Likes

silvergirl
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 12 of 20

Hi Chris,

I hope you had a good Bank Holiday weekend.

I sent a total of 16 test emails between TalkTalk and Gmail, Gmail and TalkTalk, TalkTalk to my contact's TalkTalk and Gmail addresses, and from my Gmail address to both of my contact's addresses.

I then used the test-mail@talktalk.net from my phone and also from my PC to both of my accounts. I sent both text emails and ones with a photo attached so I think you can see I have tried every which way I can think of to test this!

Out of all these, 9 got through and 7 failed but none of them were returned as failure notices. The ones that failed consisted of 4 sent from Gmail to TalkTalk (2 text only, 2 with photo) and 3 of the 4 automated TalkTalk tests. The only one of those that got through was from my PC to my Gmail account.

I hope you can unravel some of that. The important thing is that TalkTalk has obviously got a block on my Gmail. As this is not the first time it has happened, I am rather concerned and would like it fixed as soon as possible.

Silvergirl

PS I just tried the auto test a few minutes ago. From my TalkTalk account it succeeded but I also sent it from my Gmail account and it did not, it disappeared!

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi Silvergirl,

How are you getting on, how did the test emails go?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

The 12th April was a day that affected countless customers, @silvergirl, with their gmail and Talktalk, so wouldn't have been peculiar to your account:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email/TalkTalk-blocking-all-emails-from-Gmail/td-p/2965958

Staff will be back after the Bank Holiday to follow up. 

Let us know if this is sorted.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

silvergirl
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 20

Hi again Chris,

Having replied yesterday to say all had been ok since January, I remembered I did have a problem, again with Gmail and TalkTalk, on 12th April but it didn't last long enough for me to contact the forum.

Today I will try sending test emails via phone and PC and see if the problem persists.

Silvergirl

Silvergirl
0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi silvergirl,

Just to confirm, has it been working OK, as far as you're aware, since January?

Do you get any failed deliver notification to the sending email account?

Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 20

Staff are not on here every weekday, @silvergirl, but Ady is best placed to look into this for you, and it was escalated yesterday by Keithfrench.

I am trying a test email for myself, just now, with picture, from Gmail to my Talktalk.net.

It took over 5 minutes to get there, but did get received successfully. 

Presumably you have checked Spam too?

It sounds like the issue is NOT wider - helpful to exclude that for their investigation. 

If this thread is not picked up today, I am afraid it will be after the weekend before you get a response from staff. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 18 of 20

Unfortunately nobody seems to be picking this up. Can anyone else help please?

Silvergirl
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

Hi @silvergirl 

I will pass this over to TalkTalk for you @Ady-TalkTalk is their main email guy.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes