cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Emails

lizwarwick1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

Since yesterday evening (17th February 2023) I have not received any emails on my iPhone/iPad/Outlook. I have double checked all the settings and get no help from “chat” just going round in circles. I had an email asking me to change my settings as I wouldn’t be able to use emails on my devices from 17th February so obviously something has been changed!

14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Yes it is thank you but I’m not happy that it took so long! I had to lodge a complaint before the problem was solved. 

Message 2 of 15

Hi lizwarwick1, is your mail working normally now?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 15

Thank you for your prompt reply, I await for my emails to be restored although it’s more than 48 hours since it was first reported 🫤

Message 4 of 15

The request is already in. Downside is that TalkTalk Support indicate that the time to restore has now extended to up to 48 hours from their response, that will appear here, due to the number of users that were using insecure mail settings / deprecated email products. For some unexplained reason it's being managed manually, case by case.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

lizwarwick1
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 15

Hi Gondola please arrange for my emails to be restored, my settings are correct and MS Outlook has been removed from my PC

Message 6 of 15

Windows 10 is currently supported so you have multiple free options. Windows 10 has Windows Mail included in the package. So you could set Windows Mail up following the guide I gave on setting up TalkTalk Mail on a Windows PC.

Or download Thunderbird or BlueMail that look more like the classic Outlook does in contrast to the different appearance of Windows Mail on Windows 10.  All of these options are free so an easy switch to free email and more importantly secure email.

If the phone and iPad use POP3 email accounts that's perfectly ok if that's suits your need to view mail messages. The only difference in the TalkTalk recommended settings is to use for the incoming mail server Port 995 for POP3 secure in place of Port 993 for IMAP secure. 

Remember that no email accounts will be authenticated until TalkTalk do restore full access. I'll request that for you. TalkTalk Support will respond right here next week.

Message 7 of 15

I’m using Windows 10 so will upgrade Outlook tomorrow.

Do I need to change my settings on phone and iPad to IMAP it’s currently POP3?

Message 8 of 15

TalkTalk can, if you're serious about using only secure mail from now on, restore IMAP access next week.  But any continued use of Outlook 2010 online would get access withdrawn.

The total cost of upgrading Outlook may depend on the current Windows Operating System. You may need to upgrade your computer if the Operating system is older than Windows 10. So, what is the current Operating system?

As, I mentioned, Thunderbird and BlueMail are free email clients that could replace Outlook so you may not need to have any outlay.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

When will TalkTalk give access to my iPhone  and iPad? I need to check how much it will cost to upgrade Outlook

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

The iPhone and iPad are both capable of secure mail with TalkTalk Mail. Guides provided previously. Email apps will not authenticate the password until TalkTalk restore full access.

lizwarwick1 wrote:...Maybe it’s time to move from TalkTalk!

If you're saying that because I told you to cease using Outlook 2010 and don't wish to take any of the upgrade routes suggested then yes. Get a Gmail, Yahoo or Outlook email account.  They're free. But so is Thunderbird and Bluemail and will work securely so long as Windows is also not beyond end-of-life support.

If you intend to continue using Outlook 2010 then the secure TalkTalk Mail is not for you. Full access would be withdrawn.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

iPhone 12

ipad Air2

Maybe it’s time to move from TalkTalk!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

First thing is to cease using Outlook 2010. This is out of date deprecated software that's not got any security support from Microsoft and out of the box is not capable of secure mail encryption to the required minimum of the TLS 1.2 protocol. Any continued use would result in your mailbox being permanently locked to webmail only access because of the security risks of using Outlook 2010.

The upgrade from Outlook 2010 would be Outlook 365 or as a lesser compromise at least Outlook 2016. Or Windows Mail on Windows 10 or 11 or Thunderbird or Bluemail desktop as all of these offer support for TLS 1.2 security encryption as well as vendor security support updates.

On to the iPhone and iPad. What models are they and what is the Operating system software on each? Asking to make sure both are capable of secure mail encryption.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Windows PC

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

I use iPhone iPad and Outlook 2010 to access my mail, I  have changed all the settings as instructed. I don’t want to have to use webmail! 

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Yes, from 17th February your mailbox will be available only via webmail. This is a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure settings by email software accessing your mailbox. So in the last two weeks some device or another has connected to your mailbox using insecure settings despite previous notifications to update settings. We need to help you identify which devices are ok and which not.

Top tip: incoming server ports 110 and 143 indicate insecure mail settings. So that's a quick check.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in. Do you get signed in to view mail messages and compose and send mail messages?

Tell us all the devices that are used to connect to your mailbox.

iPhone, iPad, Computer, Tablet, other phone or mail collection service. The operating systems on those devices and the email software and email version numbers.

I can request TalkTalk Support restore mail access so long as we know that secure settings are in place or ready to go. Some devices will not support secure mail so we need to know what to advise you to cease using.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address and customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

0 Likes