email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message trying to send

kdp999
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

Just this morning I either get an error message trying top send an email (lineone account, thunderbird), or it just sits sending. All was OK yesterday and nothing has changed here.

I also get a timeout trying to get to web mail, wonder if the two problems are related ?

Brief update, web mail seems hit and miss, sometimes goes in after a while.

Sending mail the error message is

Sending of the message failed.
Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

I'll be here to offer you support as and if you need. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

kdp999
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 6

Thanks again for the help and advice. I left it all alone for a few hours, and now can send OK. No idea what the problem was as I have still not changed anything, but lets hope that is the end of it. If it comes back I will post here. Odd !

Message 3 of 6

Hi kdp999 

I've checked Thunderbird sending from here and cannot fault the sending or receipt of the sent mail message.

What I would do is test the sending via webmail to make sure that's ok.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your Lineone email address and password, select Sign in.

Compose and send yourself a mail message to the same Lineone email address, to make sure you see the sent message copied into the Sent objects folder and see it arrive in and stay in the Inbox. Let us know of any error message or failure here.

If that's all OK then the password you just used for webmail is good. Just check the Thunderbird Password Manager has stored the same password. Menu > Options > Privacy & Security > Passwords > Saved Passwords > Show Passwords > Confirm

Check that the Lineone account is using the correct outgoing mail server and not a talktalk SMTP server that has a different password stored. 

When you check the Saved Passwords you'll see passwords for the incoming and outgoing servers are stored as separate entries. You can select the relevant smtp.talktalk.net password and remove it so that when you next send an email from the Lineone address you'll be asked to enter (and save) the password. In the case of possible corruption of the password you can do this in advance of the final bit of troubleshooting which is to delete the email account from Thunderbird and set it up afresh. Save any wanted mail messages linked to the Thunderbird email account before deleting. But any messages on the server will be synchronised via IMAP as normal. 

kdp999
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the prompt reply. The email address is linked to my account and I pay the £5 a month to keep the legacy a/c. The server settings match.

Yesterday I could send and receive with both my line one a/c and my sky a/c, both on thunderbird. Nothing has changed ta my end overnight but now I can receive only with line one, but still send and receive with sky a/c.

Broadband is fine as I am using it to type this reply.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi kdp999 

The timeout in accessing the mailbox via webmail and the stall on sending could be a local broadband connection issue or Internet security software / ad or tracker blocking software running on your device and causing a hold up.

I assume the lineone email address is added to an active customer MyAccount and therefore is not being limited to webmail only access?

Just as confirmation of the Thunderbird settings:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username Full Lineone email address
Password Lineone Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

Let us know if your server settings in Thunderbird don't match those in the table above.