cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Lost access to pipex email

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 37

Hi

I have a pipex email account. 

Until very recently I was using the unsecure pop3 server for incoming email.

In response to a reminder I received last week I changed the settings on my android phone to the suggested new incoming server. I checked my settings on my windows pc and that was not using pop3 so I assumed it would be OK.

At first this appeared to have worked, but within a day or two I was no longer able to access my incoming email on either my phone OR the pc, though webmail is still OK.

When I try to connect I get an error message "Cannot connect to server".

My husband, with who I share the account, is still able to access his email using the same settings as myself, therefore I assume the problem is specific to mu email address.

Having read a post on here about this problem I wonder if I did not change my settings in time and have therefore had my email account restricted to webmail. Is it possible to check if this is the case please and let me know how to proceed?

Thank you

J Horner
0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 21 of 37

My phone is a Huawei - Emui

I was able to access webmail using the master email address and password.

I then created another email account on my phone using this maser address and password.

The settings is uses are:

Incoming

Server: mail.talktalk.net

Port: 995

Security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing

Server: smtp.talktalk.net

Port:587

Security: STARTTLS

It is able to download messages with these settings and credentials.

However, I still cannot connect to the incoming server with these credentials for my own email address.

I cannot see any setting on my phone for "Never delete from server".

My Outlook email on my Windows PC is similarly affected

J Horner
0 Likes

Message 22 of 37

OK, so just to update here, it is a POP3 email account on the 'phone and the port number is 995 and security type SSL/TLS.

What model 'phone is it?

You have a master pipex email address / mailbox and that has two linked aliases, one for you and one for your husband.  There's the one mailbox and one password for all.

What I want you to do is check TalkTalk Mail webmail and sign in using the master pipex address and the pipex password just to double check that you can sign in with those credentials.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail master pipex email address and pipex password, select Sign in.

Then I want you to put the master pipex email address and password in the Username and Password boxes for the incoming server settings section of the 'phone.

Also check that there is a setting that tells the email app to 'Never delete from the server'

Try again to download mail from the Inbox.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 23 of 37

Screenshot_20230303_225621.jpg

With port 995 I get this error message

J Horner
0 Likes

Message 24 of 37

Ah, that explains, about what's not shown in the screenshot, that the email account is a POP3 account. That requires the incoming port setting 995. So set the port to 995 and without changing anything else, because everything else I see is good, try to download emails once more.

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 25 of 37

Screenshot_20230303_211012.jpg

These are the settings I am trying to use.

After it fails to connect and I leave this page, when I go back the port has always reverted to 995. It is as if the change to 993 does not get saved when the connection fails. Don't know if that is relevant 

J Horner
0 Likes

Message 26 of 37

The outgoing settings are good. The incoming settings were good in the earlier screenshot.

Perhaps upload a current screenshot just in case the settings have changed.

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 37

Screenshot_20230303_204745.jpg

The outgoing settings on my phone are as shown above and I am able to send email from there. It is receiving that is the problem

J Horner
0 Likes

Message 28 of 37

Ady has already said that the email address is fully functional.

You showed me incoming settings that were set up perfectly. How about the outgoing settings?

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 37

Just wanted to check if my email address has been added to the list of those waiting to be restored please? 

J Horner
0 Likes

Message 30 of 37

Hi Ady

I am afraid I still cannot connect to the server with my email address and these server settings from my Android phone or Windows PC.

Possibly I confused things by putting more information in the Private Notes section of my profile.

This is an account shared by my husband and I and there is an overall email account and then we each have an email address. My husbands email is working fine so I think the overall account must be fully functional. However, my email address cannot connect from phone or Windows PC.

I have edited the Private Notes to contain only the email address which is having the difficulty

J Horner

Message 31 of 37

Hi Ady

I am afraid I still cannot connect to the server with my email address and these server settings from my phone or PC.

Possibly I confused things by putting more information in the Private Notes section of my profile.

This is an account shared by my husband and I and there is an overall email account and then we each have an email address. My husbands email is working fine so I think the overall account must be fully functional. However, my email address cannot connect from phone or Windows PC.

I have edited the Private Notes to contain only the email address which is having the difficulty

J Horner

Message 32 of 37

Hi JHorner, the mail account in your profile is fully functional and has no restrictions.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 33 of 37

Thank you 

J Horner

Message 34 of 37

The secure mail settings are good so I've requested that full access is restored for the email address mailbox in your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here and access returned within a couple of days after that. Until then use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

JHorner
Team Player
Private Message
Private Message

Message 35 of 37

I have updated my profile so that the email address that is registered on the account and my email address are in the private notes section of personal information.

I include screenshots of the incoming server settings on my android phone and Windows PC.

I would be grateful if you could request full access to be restored

The incoming server settings on my android phoneThe incoming server settings on my android phoneThe error message I get if I try to change the server on Windows PC to mail.talktalk.netThe error message I get if I try to change the server on Windows PC to mail.talktalk.net

J Horner
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 37

If you saw the message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software" then the email address receiving that notification has been limited to webmail only access as a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure email.

You're probably right that a late change was too late to prevent device access being removed hence the "cannot connect to server" message. Detection of insecure access and notification by TalkTalk is being done in batches. So if husband's email software is also using insecure settings then he'll get a notification of restriction to webmail only access in due course.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

You will be able to get email access restored to email apps or software including mail collection services, passwords will then re-authenticate, so long as you're ready to use up to date and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails. We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

0 Likes