cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Mail Plus - cannot login to update mobile number

dazza5152
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

hi

My query is talktalk mail plus -i have my broadband with talktalk against a talktalk email address and mail plus which i pay an expensive £50 per year against a tinyonline email address - i need to update my mobile number to my new one - i have done it for my main talktalk broadband account but for some reason mail plus will not let me login and is trying to freeze me out even though my credentials are correct why is this please i just want to update my mobile number for my mail plus account but cant get logged in?
how can this be fixed / done / updated please
many thanks
dazza

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi dazza, your email mailbox exists as a seperate entity to the MyAccount database. So if we deregister the mailbox still exists and will still manage mail as normal. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hi Ady,

Many thanks and apologies the delay replying just struggling with life right now.

Thanks for the advice - I do have a query though - when I went the lost password option in an effort to login to MailPlus MyAccount it confirmed my new password but I still could not login as you know, but also very worryingly changing the password to my account also changed the password to the email account address used for it and for a moment I could not download any emails to this email address, then I had to guess when trying to download emails to my outlook and changed the password to match the login to MailPlus to get my emails for that particular email address linked to MailPlus - would that happen again if we went ahead as the 2 seem very closely linked and really worries me if deregister what happens to the password linked to the email address used for MailPlus My Account login - I reckon it will just disappear with my access to that email if deregistered? What do you think as this is an important email address to me for other things?

Thanks again,

dazza

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Dazza, register and deregister only changes your access to view information on your account. It doesn't affect your service, orders etc. It doesn't delete your account only your login to the view pages for want of a better description. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 21

Hi Ady,

Many thanks you and Gondola have been very helpful really appreciated - I have seen the message but not progressed it as yet - I am a bit worried if I get deregistered and have to register again does that mean my annual payment in december will be affected in any way - I am really worried i will be in an even worse position if i deregister to register again especially if that deregistering somehow closes my mailplus account then i will also lose my legacy email accounts which are active and that really worries me and will it delete the direct debit banking information too?

Maybe someone can access my account and change the mobile number for me instead would that be doable, it scares me to change anything with talktalk as often in the past when i have it never went smoothly - been better recently but the past problems kind of make me worry a lot - you know the saying if it aint broken dont try and fix it.

if it wasnt for you guys and the community huge help i dont know where i would be it is a massive help to me and others i suspect makes all the difference when talktalk present these problems

you guys deserve medals for the advice you give really appreciated by me

many thanks

dazza

Message 5 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for the comprehensive response and apologies taking a day or two to get back to you, this process is making me depressed as since I have lost family I have not been the same since so everything takes me longer than normal.

I am hoping Ady will be able to do option 1 you mention above and I had forgotten as you say that sometimes a process can become too smart as it were which is equally worrying and why AI will never be able to completely replace humans along with other reasons.

I am taking my responses in small bites now you know just a bit at a time - I can see that Ady has now also responded so will attempt to go through this message next.

i can see when a while back i think it was you that told me to open the MailPlus account with a different email to my main broadband account email, that was good advice again from you so thanks for that also..

thanks again it is appreciated

dazza

Message 6 of 21

Hi dazza5152, let's take a look at your account for you. I can't do anything for you in terms of MyAccount except to deregister it to allow you to register again.  I have sent you a personal message in order to get more information. 

Ady

Message 7 of 21

Just to say that you're not on your own as many MailPlus customers cannot sign in to their MailPlus MyAccount after changing the email password. TalkTalk don't randomly do these things to get customers to call them. But they do change processes to introduce better features or better security, for example.  Sometimes the developers haven't programmed in all of the necessary logic to handle all circumstances. I don't think they included a process to identify MailPlus customers that wouldn't be signing in from a TalkTalk IP address. 

You ask, what can be done. My guess is that Ady will do one of two things.

1. Check your MailPlus MyAccount to see if it is blocked for security and, if so, to unblock that MyAccount so you can change the password, sign in and set up a mobile number.
  2. Tell you that MailPlus customers cannot sign in and it's a known issue that's awaiting a fix.

Item 1 in my opinion applies to you as you are a TalkTalk customer, can sign in from your TalkTalk broadband IP address (no VPN in use) and therefore should be able to access the MailPlus customer MyAccount as well as your broadband service MyAccount.

Item 2 definitely applies to MailPlus customers that have broadband with another ISP.

But my thoughts on this may be wrong if I'm not aware of some additional hidden process protection for a customer MyAccount. For example, if the process is too smart and because you're signing in from a TalkTalk IP address automatically refuses to believe you're a MailPlus customer. In theory you shouldn't have a MailPlus MyAccount because that gives you more than the 5 mailboxes allowed currently. You're not alone in having more than 5 mailboxes because I recall that some other customers with more than 5 legacy email addresses were allowed to retain those addresses on the current TalkTalk Mail platform.

Let's see what Ady says.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 8 of 21

all i wanted to do was update my mobile number!!

thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi Gondola,

I do not believe I am locked at all it is something else talktalk have done, I have not changed the password at all until I was forced to the other day because I could not login using the same credentials I have been using since I first had MailPlus then out the blue just stopped workng - so I went the forgot password route as all other options you mention and available failed through no fault of my own - this is a talktalk problem because if myaccount was locked it would not have let me change the password at all - now the password is changed and still no better. I do rely on this great community as until now you have always managed to answer my queries and I am very thankful, I really do not want to contact talktalk because I get fed up with them trying to sell me something I cannot afford - I have had deaths in my family so really do not need these talktalk created problems - to be honest my opinion is talktalk do this to force people to contact them to try and sell them something they cant afford - this error caused by talktalk just makes no sense otherwise - it is a mystery why this happened when everything was working fine except talktalk trying to bill me for too much until i noticed it and now nothing works - surely there is a way round this to get logged in to my own myaccount - it cant be locked as it would never have let me change the password and this problem occurred before I changed the password - what can we do now?

thanks again

dazza

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

So far as I'm aware the customers that cannot login to their MailPlus MyAccount have changed the password for their email account and the new MyAccount protections meant that the MyAccount password wasn't synchronised.

I still think that in your case the MyAccount has been locked so no password change can be carried out. I'm convinced that TalkTalk can unlock the MyAccount to allow a password change.

I've received email notification from TalkTalk about MyAccount username changes but they don't mention any IP address. Edge is based on a Chrome engine so that may be why Chrome is detected.

If you're looking in the email header then an IP address starting 78 is one of the TalkTalk plc mail servers sending the MyAccount change notification.

dazza5152
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 11 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Also worryingly got an email from talktalk telling me I changed the pw using Chrome (which i would never ever use) but I did it on Edge so why did it say that and from an IP starting 78 which I think is talktalk but not me? Is this safe and correct?

thanks again

dazza

0 Likes

dazza5152
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 12 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Just one other thing i remember a year or so ago talktalk decidd to charge me £50 month instead of per year that was a problem - i am wondering if they turned something off in my account for mailplus to stop this happening which also affected general login for me to mailplus - dont know what they did but it seemed to work for the payments not being taken too often but now caused another problem perhaps?

thanks dazza

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the reply - ok I tried edge a browser i dont like but as you suggested gave it a go - same problem entered the MailPlus details for a normal login didnt work, then did the passwordless option followed the destructions entered pin and still wont let me login - so getting frustrated by now though lets do the forget password option - did the 5 step process to reset the password got the pin verify etc set a new password first try (allowed 3 but didnt need 3) and all seemed good - then tried to login again and still cant get in - all this was while the vpn was turned off which i also dont like doing but as this is talktalk had no option - talktalk have really messed up on this one - how have talktalk broken what was not broken again - didnt anyone test these changes before rolling them out? and after resetting my password which i thought was just for mailplus account access it also resest my email to outlook password too so now i have to change all my devices to the same password just to get email to my outlooks really depressed with this - life is miserable enough without talktalk making it even worse - can you help further please the account obviously isnt locked it is just talktalk problems somewhere i cant be the only one having this problem? many thanks dazza

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

The Single Sign On (SSO) authentication as well as having saved login credentials in the browser is probably why the MyAccount login defaults to the main MyAccount and the saved login will not be correct.

If you want to have another try then load up a different browser with no TalkTalk cookies or logins saved.

The passwordless login should log you straight in to the MailPlus MyAccount unless TalkTalk have locked you out.

EDIT

Just to add that we've got two active MyAccounts and I can use the Passwordless login for either of them on the same browser without having to remove any cookies. The passwordless login sends me a 6 digit verification code to the respective login email addresses and by entering that verification code I'll get signed in to the correct MyAccount.

If the MailPlus MyAccount is locked for security then TalkTalk should be able to unlock it to enable you to do a passwordless login and a then a change of password.

Message 15 of 21

Hi Ady,

Good to hear from you I hope you are well.

Unfortunately I tried (twice) but it has failed - got the PIN sent to me for MailPlus account to email linked to it -  all seemed to go well but it kept taking me back to the main credentials of my main broadband account on a different email linked to it instead of my credentials of my MailPlus account also saved in Firefox - I dont get why talktalk have decided to try and fix something that wasnt broken and well now have broken it trying to fix it - why make life hard when it isnt needed life is miserable enough without this?

many thanks

dazza

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks I followed your instructions - disconnected VPN first then tried to login to MailPlus via passwordless option, all seemed to go well, entered the MailPlus email address linked to the account and it sent me a PIN email - I entered the PIN which then took me back to the login page of my main broadband account details which was not what i wanted and then the following message came up "Sorry - for technical or security reasons we cannot log you in. Please refresh and try again."  Not to give up easily I tried again but got the same result I was sent another PIN for the MailPlus account I entered that as directed and yet again it looped me back to the login credentials saved in Firefox for my main broadband account, both times I tried to overwrite with the MailPlus credentials to login and it still did not accept it so I am now no further forward - it failed for me but I fully appreciate your help - it is another usual talktalk technical glitch I just dont understand why talktalk have changed this for the MailPlus account - you know the saying if it aint broken why try to fix it - so talktalk tried to fix something that was not broken and have now broken it so I cant login - this is crazy surely.

Can you help further?

Many thanks,

dazza

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 21

Hi dazza5152, have you ever been able to log into the mailplus MyAccount? If you have please add the account number to private notes in your community profile.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

I understand what you're hoping to do and by switching the VPN off you should be able to access the MailPlus MyAccount but probably will need to do so via the passwordless login. Have you tried that? It'll send a magic-link to the email address to log you in.

I mention the webmail login because that's the only way to set up password recovery Reset details for an email address.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi Gondola,

Good to hear from you again.

Get what you are saying but I turned off my VPN before I tried to login to MailPlus so it would have shown as talktalk IP address as normal, I was able to change my mobile number for my broadband account but cannot login to MailPlus with the correct logins, this is the first time since MailPlus started it has not worked - this must be a problem at talktalk as my end nothing changed and VPN is off. I do not want to change the password I want to change my mobile number to my new mobile number for security reasons I do not want messges going from talktalk to whoever takes over my old number for obvious reasons so can you help please? I do not use webmail it is all downloaded to my outlook on my devices - I just want talktalk to have my new correct mobile number for MailPlus MyAccount the same as I have done for my broadband MyAccount - this worked fine but MailPlus is a big problem?

Unfortunately for various reasons I need MailPlus 5 accounts arent enough on the broadband for me, when I was with Tinyonline Tiscali promised to keep my legacy accounts for free, when I was with Tiscali and years ago after after TalkTalk took Tiscali over TalkTalk also promised my legacy Tinyonline and Tiscali would be free too if I signed up to broadband which I did, we all what happened next basically TalkTalk lied to me and then started charging to boost the TalkTalk bottom line which is sad and disappointing, I have reduced my legacy ones as far as I can and will be using them more soon for added security.

Thanks again any help appreciated just want to update my mobile number in my MailPlus account to ensure no messages go to my old mobile number from TalkTalk to it when someone else has the number after me.

cheers

dazza

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

It's a fact that most MailPlus customers cannot login to their MyAccount. My thoughts on this being that MyAccount protections do not allow the changing of a login password when attempted from a non-TalkTalk IP address. Hence the MyAccount login password does not sync to the Username email password. However, when accessed from a TalkTalk broadband IP address it ought to be possible to sync the email password change to the MyAccount password.

If you're just trying to set up the mobile for password recovery of the tinyonline email account then just sign in to the tinyonline webmail and update Reset details via the main Settings menu.

But do you need to pay for broadband and MailPlus? Maybe, if you have more than the nominal 5 mailboxes?

0 Likes