email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing email server terminated

haroldwtwo
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

In the last week or so it became apparent that I was having problems with outgoing email. I had been using an old legacy (@nildram.co.uk) account that was originally a business account but had been migrated to the private account system.

The client (Windows Live Mail) indicated the messages had been correctly sent but I was getting lots of repeat requests for responses I had already given. Eventually a phone call to a contact revealed that outgoing messages were not being sent. I confirmed this by trying family messages and phone calls. I had not had any notification from Talktalk about issues or changes but investigation showed that the server  (smtp.gotadsl.co.uk) could no longer be accessed. A websearch then showed that the server had been run by Talktalk business. The Talktalk business website states that this server had been disconnected on 4th March 2021. (The business website also said that my pop3 server (pop3.gotadsl.co.uk) had been disconnected but this is incorrect as I am still receiving incoming mail from it and have accessed the server directly for confirmation).

Many legacy accounts were affected. Most (e.g. pipex.com) can be used as aliases but for some reason @nildram.co.uk is not among them. 

I have three questions:

1) Will my pop3 server (pop3.gotadsl.co.uk) be disconnected in the near future?

2) Is the omission of @nildram.co.uk from the list of affected accounts an administrative error or is there a fundamental reason why it is omitted?

3) If it is an administrative error can it be rectified?

And one comment: I think it is terrible customer service that a vital function can be switched off without notice. Talktalk business did seem to notify their customers but I was not.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi haroldwtwo,

Thanks for the update, have you tried calling since your post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

I got a very unhelpful reply saying essentially that they would take no action because the email outlining the problem was sent from an address they did not recognise as theirs. This is hardly surprising when the complaint is that outgoing email does not work on that account. They suggested a phone call but I am not hopeful as I do not see what extra information I can give them . It seems like just another hurdle in the hope I will give up.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi haroldwtwo, please keep us updated.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 11

OK thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

So far you haven't cause for complaint because the contact you say you have made has not refused to help you. 

Option 4 on the 'phone would get you a real person to talk to. If that person denies help because you don't have a business account then you can ask for a complaint to be started.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 11

I sent an email to the service manager as suggested on their website as it seemed the only way that did not rely on the login details for a business account. I got an acknowledgement but no other reply. I guess my next step is a formal complaint?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi haroldwtwo 

Have TalkTalk Business agreed to investigate the Nildram issue for you? 

Pipex domain mailboxes managed by TalkTalk Consumer are operating on the TalkTalk Mail platform hosted by Open-Xchange. 

Nildram, gotadsl and f2s domain mailboxes managed by TalkTalk Business are hosted by apm-internet on their servers. 

Good luck searching for your common hardware between the two separate platforms. 

Message 8 of 11

My problem exactly matches the Pipex problem that is unresolved in another thread. The match is so close i suspect a common cause. I ran the email address validation program and it validated OK. I know the passwords. I contacted talktalk business as suggested but no resolution so far.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Hi haroldwtwo, Gondola is spot on. You'll need to speak to the TTB team for help with this mail domain. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @haroldwtwo 

There's a post at the top of this forum about the recent email changes made by TalkTalk Business. You'll see that it's been stated that the legacy domains gotadsl, nildram and f2s are remaining active for the time being and that there are no changes to the way these are managed by TalkTalk Business.

So to answer your questions:

1. No known plans to disconnect pop3.gotadsl.co.uk
  2. Nildram and the other TTB legacy domains are not on the TalkTalk Mail platform
  3. This is not an administrative error

Go direct to TalkTalk Business (TTB) TTB Support to resolve any issue with the Gotadsl and or Nildram email domain. TTB should have a record of the registered user details to match to your personal details.

All requests for support need to be made to TTB.  Call 0800 083 3003 - Mon-Sun 8am-6pm Press # and when prompted select Option 4.  Or email customerservices@talktalkbusiness.co.uk and ask for the Email Product Manager.