cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Outgoing emails

Thomsok
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

We have a domain name hosted by Freeola, so our incoming email settings are different to outgoing.  

So the instructions from Talk Talk this week after changing their port for outgoing emails to check the box for outgoing emails to use the same authentication as incoming does not work for us.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Thomsok, if you're not using a TalkTalk mail address you cannot use the TalkTalk mail servers.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

The From: name can be changed in the TalkTalk Mail mailbox.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

Select the main settings menu and then My contact data. Here you can enter your first and last name that appear as the friendly name to your recipients.

Menu options - My contact data 05Aug2020

If you want something different, let's change the 'friendly name' / 'real name' that normally appears to recipients in the From: entry

• Select Mail or Email from the blue header bar
  • Select Compose from the sub-header
  • Select the blue down arrow to the right of the From: <email address>  
  • You'll see a drop-down box with options Hide names or Edit names
  • Select Edit names
  • In the pop-up Select the tick box
    Enter the desired name in the custom name box - your personal domain address
  • Select Save

So, you can have just the email address or your real name or have the option of defining a custom name, which is where you put your personal domain address and emails appear as From: Personal Domain Address <TalkTalk email address>

Recipients often would just see the email as From: Personal Domain Address

You can do the same in email clients.

Which brings us back to the version of Outlook you're currently using. It appears to not be a current version so may not support the secure mail required by TalkTalk.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 14

We are Fibre 65 customers, broadband, TV, phone.  I'll have a look to set up  talktalk.net email address.

Thanks for all your help 🙂

Message 4 of 14

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer (excluding full fibre customers)? You create a new talktalk.net email address in the customer MyAccount.

Regrettably, if not a customer then there isn't an option to create a new talktalk.net address.

Not quite sure what to say about Freeola. Didn't they want you to upgrade your package to domain and email hosting? You can always find a new hosting service and switch your domain over to them for domain and email hosting.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Managing your email in My Account

Message 5 of 14

Thank you.  We pay an annual fee for our domain name, but I guess you must be right - we do not subscribe to Freeola email services.  This was all set up years ago!  I contacted Freeola but I'm afraid to say they were extremely unhelpful!

Can we go back to the first option you mentioned? 

'You can always send outgoing secure mail from your talktalk mailbox and set the 'friendly name', that users will see, as your personal domain email address. That way it 'looks' like it's mail from your personal domain but sent from your talktalk account as fully authenticated mail.'

I'm guessing I would need to set up a talktalk email account and follow the above steps?  For incoming mail would I need to change anything?  Sorry - as you can see not particularly tech savvy!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

I see you're collecting the mail from the freeola mailbox but using a non domain name for the mail server host.

I believe that means you're not a subscriber to Freeola's email services but a free user?

Here's what the Freeola setup instructions say - but these are for Freeola's paying customers.

Incoming Mail server will be yourdomainname.freeolamail.net (dots in 'yourdomainname' must be replaced by hyphens)
Port 993
Encryption Method: SSL/TLS (SSL ON)

Outgoing Mail server smtp.freeolamail.net
Port: 465.
Encryption Method: SSL/TLS (SSL ON)
My server requires outgoing authentication: ON

Message 7 of 14

These are our email settings - I have changed the outgoing mail port to 587 as per TalkTalk instructions - it was 25.  But it doesn't work for outgoing emails anyway.

IMG_2725.jpegIMG_2726.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Thank you Gondola.  We didn't actually receive the email from TalkTalk - so I had no idea this was happening, just found it all out by googling and on here!  I don't think we have never had a TalkTalk legacy domain email address - we were originally with Tiscali before it changed to TalkTalk and just updated our settings when that changed.  I'll upload some screenshots.  Thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

If you received a notification email from TalkTalk you must have a TalkTalk legacy domain email address... in addition to your personal domain?

By all means upload screenshots but redact the first part of any email address as I don't need to know the full address and wouldn't want you getting spammed. I'll help as best I can.

Message 10 of 14

Thank you!  Do you have any more in depth instructions available?  We've never had '@talktalk' email addresses, only ever the email addresses related to our domain name, so I really have no idea where to start!  We are still receiving incoming emails.  If I sent screenshots of our email settings would you be able to help me?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Absolutely. TalkTalk has never authenticated personal domain mail via its servers so a lot of that mail would be marked as spam by recipient mail services anyway. Best to get fully authenticated outgoing mail from the Freeola servers.

You can always send outgoing secure mail from your talktalk mailbox and set the 'friendly name', that users will see, as your personal domain email address. That way it 'looks' like it's mail from your personal domain but sent from your talktalk account as fully authenticated mail.

Message 12 of 14

Thank you Gondola!  We've been using TalkTalk servers for years for our emails!  Is this due to the security updates effective from 23rd Feb?

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

You may not use the TalkTalk mail servers for your personal domain email.

Use the mail servers provided by Freola. The Freola help guide is here: Freola email guide