cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Spam emails

Ricardo80
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 79 of 79

In recent weeks I have been plagued with spam emails, now dozens per day. 

I have tried blocking through my iPhone but I’m fighting a losing battle.

Can anyone please help?

0 Likes
78 REPLIES 78

Message 41 of 79

Hello Michelle

Any update please on what your Network Engineers have found?

thanks

0 Likes

td123
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 79

@Gondola @Ricardo80 @Jacey6 @Rootin @Bullfinch1 

I have also been getting many of these recently (happily not in the numbers that some are getting). As every one has a new and different convoluted senders address using the filters is unlikely to have much of an effect unless you go for a global filter & block on ALL mails from g.mail/googlemail.

One thing we can all do is to "Forward" these annoying e.mails  to  report@phishing.gov.uk and phishing@talktalk.co.uk.  in the hope that they can use their tools to shut them down.

When forwarding I think that the advice is to opt for the "Compose mail without external images"  as opening the images only lets the scammers know your address is active? Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge than me can confirm this?

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 79

I am not sure if Gondola is part of TalkTalk or represents them. Whatever, their reply is not very helpful.

My posting on social media is a simple attempt to get a large resourceful company to attempt to address a known problem.

Expecting customers to write message filters, etc, etc is the equivalent of putting the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. This needs addressing at source.

Does anybody have a 12yr old whizz kid out there? I am sure somebody with some real IT knowledge could have a good crack at this.

As for telling us to delete our  mailboxes, that just sums it the approach.

0 Likes

Message 44 of 79

Think you've missed the point Gondola. It's ot a out trying to get Google to stop the spam it's about highlighting the fact that all our tiscali email addresses have been leaked and Talktalk is the obvious common denominator!!

0 Likes

Message 45 of 79

It is blatantly obvious there is only one possible source of the 'leaking' of all our tiscali email addresses. It's time Talktalk owned up, investigated & sorted it out

0 Likes

Message 46 of 79

Hello Gondola

I didn’t suggest this, it was another member. Good luck to him/her

Message 47 of 79

OK, let's see what effect you have via social media on getting Google to stop spam being sent by criminals that know your mailbox address.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 48 of 79

👍

0 Likes

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 49 of 79

I think I need to air this on social media now. Would encourage others to do same.

0 Likes

Message 50 of 79

I received the following message from TalkTalk support a few days ago:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. The team are now investigating so am hoping to have an update soon.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 79

Likewise, I am getting those FBI ones. There has to be a common thread here that needs to be dealt with at the centre ie TalkTalk.

Rootin
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 79

Hi All

Apols I've also got a thread going with the same SPAM problem.

These e mails are so obviously spam that my 1yr old grandaughter could spot them at 100 paces.

Some of us are able to go through our inboxes and clean up + create message filters. However, there should be absolutely no need to do this. As these e mails are so clearly SPAM it has to be the responsiblity of the  service provider ie TalkTalk to do something. Surely they have the brains and technology to sort this?

Message 53 of 79

Hi @Bullfinch1 

If the identical circumstances for member Ricardo80 apply to you then use the same two filters.

0 Likes

Message 54 of 79

I have also been receiving spam emails for the last week or so to my tiscali address. They appear to be similar to the ones Jillybean2 has been receiving -  FBI mentioned, claim prizes, cloud storage full, Stanley tools, Toolstation etc. Marking them as spam in TalkTalk webmail does not help.  Would be great if you can prevent them.

0 Likes

Message 55 of 79

Good morning @Ricardo80 and just to say that my comment was for member Jillybean2. The upgrade referred to is the migration from the former mail platform to a new cloud mail platform.

But whilst you're here, just make sure the filter rules I gave you operate in the order I've given them. Use the multi-dot drag handle to the left of a rule to re-order its sequence of operation.

0 Likes

Message 56 of 79

Hello Gondola 

I never respond to these things and would never share or confirm my password with anyone or thing.

What UPGRADE are you referring too?

thanks

0 Likes

Message 57 of 79

I was given instructions early this week on a possible solution on how to block. The majority of my spam/fishing emails are from gmail or google mail addresses. I’ve not had the chance to try this yet, but see below for instructions:

‘On the basis that there aren't many genuine Gmail contacts you need to include in a Rule, first create a Rule to identify those wanted Gmail contacts.

Rule set for 'Apply rule if any condition is met'

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user1@gmail.com'

Further conditions 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user2@gmail.com'

etc - replace user1 with the real username and keep this rule updated with new genuine Gmail contacts by adding further conditions.

Action 'File into' 'Select folder' 'Wanted_Gmail'

You need to create this folder for your wanted Gmail contacts and their mail messages.

Tick Process subsequent rules.

Now create a Rule to put all remaining Gmail and Googlemail into the Trash folder

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with gmail.com'

And a second condition 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with googlemail.com'

(NB omit the ' marks from the actual rules)

The suggested action is 'File into' and the folder 'Trash' which gives you 30 days to review for any new wanted Gmail contacts prior to auto deletion’

0 Likes

Message 58 of 79

I was given instructions early this week on a possible solution on how to block. The majority of my spam/fishing emails are from gmail or google mail addresses. I’ve not had the chance to try this yet, but see below for instructions:

‘On the basis that there aren't many genuine Gmail contacts you need to include in a Rule, first create a Rule to identify those wanted Gmail contacts.

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user1@gmail.com'

Further conditions 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user2@gmail.com'

etc - replace user1 with the real username and keep this rule updated with new genuine Gmail contacts by adding further conditions.

Action 'File into' 'Select folder' 'Wanted_Gmail'

You need to create this folder for your wanted Gmail contacts and their mail messages.

Tick Process subsequent rules.

Now create a Rule to put all remaining Gmail and Googlemail into the Trash folder

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with gmail.com'

And a second condition 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with googlemail.com'

(NB omit the ' marks from the actual rules)

The suggested action is 'File into' and the folder 'Trash' which gives you 30 days to review for any new wanted Gmail contacts prior to auto deletion’

0 Likes

Message 59 of 79

Hi @Jillybean2 

Thanks for your contribution to the topic. You indicate that your email address was known to spammers before the upgrade.

It was obvious during the upgrade that criminals were targeting previously known addresses and typically those discovered by the onliner spambot malware in 2017.

But did you respond to any mail messages recently asking you to verify, validate, update or otherwise confirm your email address and password? TalkTalk never ask you to do this so I'm just checking your mailbox is not compromised.

0 Likes

Jillybean2
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 79

Me too driving me nuts. Initially was marking them as spam, when I try that now, email totally locks up for some reason. Have to kick it off then go back in, not ideal. Will have a look on pc later to try some of the suggestions on here.

Only got the odd one before the upgrade at least a dozen a day now. 

0 Likes