cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Spam emails

Ricardo80
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 79 of 79

In recent weeks I have been plagued with spam emails, now dozens per day. 

I have tried blocking through my iPhone but I’m fighting a losing battle.

Can anyone please help?

0 Likes
78 REPLIES 78

Message 61 of 79

I am being inundated with the things…it’s a real nuisance. 
I just wish TalkTalk would help

Jacey6
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 62 of 79

I have been getting the same spam emails only on my tiscali account for just over a week now  They are American, referencing things like the FBI & referring to rewards in dollars etc. I report them as spam but they just go on & on

0 Likes

Message 63 of 79

Thank you for your help Gondola.

Ill give this a try and I’ll let you know the outcome.

0 Likes

Message 64 of 79

On the basis that there aren't many genuine Gmail contacts you need to include in a Rule, first create a Rule to identify those wanted Gmail contacts.

Rule set for 'Apply rule if any condition is met'

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user1@gmail.com'

Further conditions 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'All' 'Is exactly' 'user2@gmail.com'

etc - replace user1 with the real username and keep this rule updated with new genuine Gmail contacts by adding further conditions.

Action 'File into' 'Select folder' 'Wanted_Gmail'

You need to create this folder for your wanted Gmail contacts and their mail messages.

Tick Process subsequent rules.

Now create a Rule to put all remaining Gmail and Googlemail into the Trash folder

Rule set for 'Apply rule if any condition is met'

The condition is 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with gmail.com'

And a second condition 'E-mail Address' 'Header From' 'Part Domain' 'Ends with googlemail.com'

(NB omit the ' marks from the actual rules)

The suggested action is 'File into' and the folder 'Trash' which gives you 30 days to review for any new wanted Gmail contacts prior to auto deletion.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 65 of 79

Thank you Gondola

fortunately I don’t have many google mail or gmail contacts so would be prepared to set up a filter as you suggest.

could you please advise how I do this?

regards

0 Likes

Message 66 of 79

The quick answer is no, the + symbol is not going to be recognised by the sieve filter.

I'll explain what's happening with those addresses.

Gmail deals with the first example by sending incoming mail and replies to a Gmail mailbox that has the address saddamms442335@gmail.com and the part after the + is ignored as far as delivering mail to a mailbox. This part can be filtered by the recipient to individual defined folders but may also be used by criminals or bulk mailers to identify who responded.

TalkTalk Mail deals with the + symbol in a similar way. The email address is defined by a Local Part @ Domain but the Local Part can be split into two as a User + Detail @ Domain.

The sieve filter will therefore recognise the User part and the Detail part and the Domain part. So. if you had all spam arriving from Saddamms442335 you could apply a Rule to detect that as the User. Unfortunately in the two 'From' addresses you gave the only common factor is the domain being Gmail / Googlemail. Whilst you could set up a Filter rule to look for the Gmail or Googlemail domains you'd also have to include an exclusion for all of your genuine contacts that use Gmail.

0 Likes

Message 67 of 79

Hello Gondola

Two examples shown below:

saddamms442335+aIIRmByV9UcYTNRdv97vjI3vgdkvX0GFM4@gmail.com

b.ea.ul.ieu.o.d.et.te.1+ZuR7MwBXzv0sWJ1pKqJUAhoDpdG8A@googlemail.com

0 Likes

Message 68 of 79

Is this email address contained within <chevron brackets>? I assume the + symbol is in the local part preceding the @ symbol? - Give an example please.

0 Likes

Message 69 of 79

Hello Gondola

When I click on the FROM name, it reveals the actual senders address which all have a + sign in the text.

Would it be possible to use this + to create a filter to stop this/these senders?

0 Likes

Message 70 of 79

Did you find any common factors unique to the spam emails that we could use to help you construct effective Rules to divert messages from your Inbox?

0 Likes

Message 71 of 79

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 72 of 79

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. The team are now investigating so am hoping to have an update soon.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 73 of 79

Thank you Michelle 

I get dozens of such emails per day 😩 Fishing and Spam

0 Likes

Message 74 of 79

Hello,

Just to add, I've also raised this over to our Network Engineers for investigation to see if there are any known issues. I will post back here as soon as they come back to me.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 75 of 79

Thank you Gondola

I’ll try what you suggest.

Message 76 of 79

Hi @Ricardo80 

View the email header (View Source from the More actions triple dots (ellipsis) menu icon) and look at the email address within chevron brackets on the Return-Path: line and the From: line and see if there's a common factor across the various emails. e.g. the same domain is originating most of the spam.

Is there a common factor in the Subject: line?

To be able to set a simple Rule to work across multiple emails there needs to be some unique identifier that's capable of being used in a Rule to divert the spam from the Inbox whilst leaving the genuine mail messages untouched.

0 Likes

Message 77 of 79

Hello Ady

That’s not going to work.. there are too
many.

I was hoping there was a filter system that would let me take key words or symbols that would allow me to block these spam emails 
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 78 of 79

Hi Ricardo80, continue to mark as spam. Either your email or one of your friends or family have had their email harvested their contacts list spammed.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes