cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Talktalk spam filters not working

LiffJon
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

Hi, I am concerned that talktalk's spam filters are not working correctly. We have two users (husband and wife) on our talktalk account, and over the last three days, numerous emails from one to the other have not been received at all. This is really concerning as we use email for all our business/written communication with each other. 

They are not in the spam folder

Neither of us has the other listed as blocked user

I have checked both email addresses on verifalia.com and there are no reported problems. 

Recently both of us have been spammed from 

@mx.tt.xion.oxcs.net
a spam domain which has spoofed both our email addresses so that the spam email appears to originate with us (it doesn't). 
We use TypeApp for android devices (as well as Talktalk webmail on pc), and have noticed that TypeApp's spam blocker incorrectly identifies our (genuine) email addresses as the sender and blocks us, instead of blocking the actual sender @mx.tt.xion.oxcs.net. 
Is it possible that Talktalk spam filters are doing the same thing, and identifying our genuine email addresses as spam senders? 
If not, where have our emails gone?
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 21 of 24

What are your TalkTalk email domains - just the part of your email addresses after the @ symbol?

Have you both checked that you have no Rules defined in your online mailbox?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your TalkTalk email address and email password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Select the New email button, or pencil icon if using a mobile browser, to compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox. Hopefully you will be able to send from yourself to yourself to prove there's no block in place.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• Select the Main settings menu cog icon      top right on the blue header
  • Select All settings, or if using a mobile browser it's Menu then the cog icon for Settings
  • Select Mail and scroll down to Rules
    Select the chevron icon > to see all defined Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the X icon to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red  X
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

LiffJon
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 24

Hi thanks for your reply. That's helpful to know about the oxcs.net domain name.

The problem is at the moment that the "not spam" email (i.e. the genuine emails between us) are not getting through at all - i.e. they are not in the online spam folder, so I cannot mark them as "not spam" much as I would like to. 

This is what makes me concerned that the behind-the-scenes talktalk main spam filters are not working correctly, as they seem to have filtered out our messages altogether. 

Any thoughts?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 24

Hi @LiffJon 

You have not been spammed by "mx.tt.xion.oxcs.net" as that is the inbound mail server for the TalkTalk Mail platform operated by Open Xchange (OX). Your email address has been spoofed by a new wave of spam, mostly originating from Canada, that is using the recipient email address and the OX domain as the alleged sender.

To remove a spam block that's been inadvertently applied is similar to the action to take with TypeApp's local spam blocker. In the case of TalkTalk Mail find any mail in the online Spam folder and select Not spam from the toolbar. This will notify TalkTalk's CloudMark network filtering as well as moving the mail back to the Inbox. Report the spoofing to TalkTalk just as you would for a Phishing email and then Delete the message to put it in the Trash folder for 30 days. Guides added below:

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Phishing emails & everything you need to know

Compromised or spoofed accounts

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes