cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Tiscali emails no longer accessible via MS Outlook

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

I've been a TalkTalk Mail Plus customer for a few years, in order to maintain an old Tiscali.co.uk email address (I no longer have a contract with TalkTalk as my ISP).  All was working well till last Friday, when something changed and I am no longer able to download these Tiscali emails to my MS Outlook email using IMAP.  I can still access the webmail OK.  I have tried various updates to the server settings (IMAP / SMTP) under Outlook, in line with previous advice I've seen, but none of this has worked.  A webchat to TalkTalk on Saturday confirmed my account is OK and no payment is outstanding.  

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Great stuff thanks for posting back to let us know.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 16

Hi gordon_r, Gondola is correct. All affected emails were mailed to change the settings. If you have TalkTalk mails blocked or forwarded we can't do anything about that. With so many email accounts not associated to live TalkTalk accounts any other method of contact is impossible. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 3 of 16

I take note of your response Gondola.  I need to know if you are a TalkTalk employee.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hey gordon_r looks like we both may have been using older Email programmes unaware that they would not be secure. I had already changed the settings a few months ago after an email from talktalk. Seemed to be working fine but not from yesterday. 🤔

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

And you ignored warnings from Microsoft about Outlook 2010 being at end of life and not having security updates. So your comment about taking security seriously is hardly credible is it?

You'll note I moved your unhelpful commentary to your own topic.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 16

Gondola - I am pleased to see you've dropped the bit in your standard reply where you allege this is due to customers ignoring warnings from TalkTalk that they had to upgrade their IMAP security or have their access blocked.  I take my internet security pretty seriously and never received such a warning message, otherwise I would have taken action.  Looks like I am not the only person who had this change sprung on them out of the blue.  

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Thanks, I've requested that your mailbox be restored to normal function. 

Ady

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 16

OK, I've added my Tiscali email address to my personal profile.

Message 9 of 16

Hi gordon_r, please add your affected mailbox address to your community profile in the private section and I'll get the limitations lifted for you.

Ady

Message 10 of 16

Before Outlook 365 will be able to get the secure connection authenticated the IMAP access has to be restored by TalkTalk. The request is in and TalkTalk Support will respond here.

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 16

OK, so I removed the Tiscali account from the old PC with the Outlook 2010 client.  I rechecked the settings on the MS 365 Outlook client on my laptop but am sill getting the same error message.  Does something need to be reset at the TalkTalk end?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Please cease using the Outlook 2010 software. It's not capable of supporting secure mail.

Outlook 365 up to date is good.

The guide to check settings is below.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Windows PC

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 16

Just saw your final comment about all devices connected to the mailbox.  I also have an older desktop running Outlook 2010.  

0 Likes

gordon_r
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hi Gondola, I never received any such notifications from TalkTalk.  My main PC is a Windows 10 laptop running Outlook under Microsoft 365 package so fully up to date.  I'm afraid I don't understand what "TLS 1.2 connection security" means - can you please explain what I need to do?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

Hi gordon_r 

TalkTalk will have removed access for Outlook because earlier notifications to use secure mail connections to the mailbox have not been followed. It's necessary to use TLS 1.2 connection security.

Note that devices will not authenticate until TalkTalk restore IMAP / POP3 access.

What version of Outlook is in use? Outlook 2016 or later is advisable.

All devices connecting to the mailbox must use secure mail so let us know if other devices or software is in use.